SAP is the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software that’s used by millions of organizations across the globe to manage their business operations and customer relations in a smooth, hassle-free way. Whichever industry domain you belong to – manufacturing, healthcare, advertising and media, finance etc., SAP has distinct modules of software solutions that can be customized to address your every business need. SAP Basis is the unique layer in the SAP architecture that behaves like an interface between the operating system and the database of the different SAP modules. Whether it is the Production Planning (PP) module, Engineering or Sales module, Inventory or Accounting module etc. , SAP basis contains all the technical and administrative aspects of SAP software. It helps in the daily functioning of the ERP software and defines the overall structure of the SAP system. It consists of the system and user administration components, monitoring tools, client-server architecture, the graphical user interface system and many more technical components of SAP software. If you’re new to SAP, you may want to take this beginners online course to see how it works end to end.
If you have been using ERP solutions in your organization for the various operations like financial accounting, payroll, material planning, bill of material entry, sales and CRM functions etc., you will already know the functional aspects of SAP. To equip yourself with the technical know-how on the SAP system and understand the finer details on how the system works, you will need to learn the fundamentals of SAP Basis.
What is SAP Basis?
SAP Basis is the technical core of the SAP (Systems, Applications and Products) software system. It defines the internal structure the SAP software and consists of the various system and user level components that help in configuration, installation, troubleshooting, updating or monitoring the applications. To get a better understanding of SAP features and technical aspects, take our online Introductory Course on SAP Basis.
Features of SAP Basis
SAP Basis supports the SAP modules and applications on all the technical aspects of its smooth functioning. Consisting of low level services like database communication and high-end tools for system administrators and users, SAP Basis is the platform on which the various solutions run. It has several features such as:
- Database administration – It focuses on the administrative functioning of the various applications by monitoring the database that the SAP system uses.
- System administration – It acts like an interface between the system components and the Basis components, emphasizing on the development platform and data dictionary
- User Administration – It provides the various tools required to help the users manage activities like trouble-shooting, up gradation, configuration, installation etc.
- Security Administration – Maintains the security of the SAP systems by integrating the authorization module that protects the system from potential breaches, data corruption etc.
- Client-Server Architecture – It normally uses the real-time 3-layer architecture consisting of the Presentation layer, Application layer and Database layer, thereby following the SAP R/3 architecture. These various layers in turn have specific features that allow for the functioning of the SAP applications.
- SAP GUI – SAP Basis defines the graphical user interface (GUI) components of the system. There are three types of interfaces that are widely used – GUI for Windows, GUI for Java and GUI for HTML. It provides the required platform for the implementation of these user interfaces.
SAP Basis lays the foundation of the technical layers on which the SAP applications like SAP ERP, SAP CRM, and SAP SCM etc. run on. It provides the real-time environment for the various modules and the infrastructure required to manage and administer SAP applications. You can learn more about the SAP Basis architecture and latest features in this in-depth SAP course.
Advantages of SAP Basis Training
With the growing importance of SAP applications in companies across industry verticals, a hands-on training in the SAP Basis skills will give you a definite advantage in SAP system administration. Since Basis forms an integral part of the technical components of SAP, you can equip yourself with tools to manage or design the SAP databases, user and system management tools, security authorization activities and more. It helps you understand the SAP architecture and layers, sharpen your skills in the latest technologies and tools and master the various activities in the smooth functioning of SAP applications in your organization.
Responsibilities of a SAP Basis Administrator
The SAP Basis administrator ensures the overall functioning of the SAP environment by conducting activities like configuration, installation, monitoring, trouble-shooting and maintenance of the systems. If you want to become a SAP Basis Administrator, you will have to understand the basic concepts of database management, operating systems and GUIs. Here are the main roles and responsibilities that you can expect to be performing as a SAP Basis administrator in your organization:
- Manage the day-to-day running of the SAP Applications
- Provides technical support in activities like installation, up gradation, configuration, resolve issues such as source code problems, scheduling etc.
- Maintenance of SAP systems, Data dictionary and database systems
- Evaluating and maintaining the interfaces between SAP and external systems
- Manage the migration of SAP database and application configuration into production
- Analyze, develop and maintain data architectures and process models
- Manage technical changes in the SAP environment to improve the reliability and performance of the individual functionalities
- Manage SAP users, profiles and authorizations
- Monitor, distribute and manage the SAP user workload
- Maintain data backup and storage, security, problem determination and resolution
- Develop system documentation for all SAP functions and interfaces etc.
SAP Basis has evolved over the years to include the latest internet technologies and the newest platforms. This course on SAP Basis and Netweaver shows you how to use enhancements like the SAP Web Application Server (WAS) and the SAP Netweaver Application Server to design and implement a versatile platform for your various SAP applications. To conclude, you can use the extended features of Basis to make your SAP environment robust, flexible and secure. Derive from the many benefits of SAP Applications to maximize your organization’s profitability and business value.