PMP Exam Questions: 25 Q&As for Exam Day
Project Manager Professionals (PMP) work in every field and all true PMP’s are certified through the Project Management Institute (PMI). The certification process requires you to take a 200 question exam on the ins and outs of project management. Once you pass the exam, you are a qualified PMP which opens up a lot of doors when it comes to work opportunities and pay raises. The PMP test is highly based off of the PMI Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, or the PMBOK Guide. This guide is going to be your project management bible as you prepare for the exam. For more help getting ready for exam day, check out this online PMP certification course, it’s based off the PMBOK. Before you jump into the PMP exam, it’s good to know exactly what a Project Manager does (and therefore what will be expected of you). Below is a practice exam with a random sample of 25 questions that could be on your exam. The answers are at the end. Good luck!
PMP Practice Exam
People have different ways of learning, and for some, using flashcards just makes things much easier. There are some pre-made online flashcards in this PMP Flashcard course, and you can learn about the five PMBOK processes while you’re at it.
Select one of the answers for each of the 25 questions:
1. You are the Project Manager on a merger and acquisition project. Activity A (3 days) and activity B (4 days) can start immediately. Activity C (2 days) can start after A and B are complete. Activity D (5 days) can begin after activity B is complete. Activity E (6 days) can begin after activity B is complete. Activity F (4 days) can begin after activities C and D are complete. Activity G (5 days) can begin after activities D and E are complete. Activity H (4 days) can begin after activities F and G are complete. What is the slack of Activity D?
A. Two days
B. One day
C. Four days
D. Not enough information
2. According to Tuckman’s ladder, in which development stage do teams begin to address the project work, technical decisions, and the project management approach?
3. John is the project manager of an office re-location project and is fed up with the several conflicts on his project. He tells the team, “Shut-up! I’m the boss. We are doing things my way from now on. If you don’t like it, there’s the door!” Which type of conflict resolution technique is he using?
4. Your project has CPI of 0.81 and TCPI = 1.25. You know that your project is
A: Over budget and ahead of schedule
B. Under budget
C. Over budget and behind schedule
D. Over budget and TCPI is a projection of cost performance that must be achieved on the remaining work
5. Why is it necessary to review performance measurements for schedule control?
A. To determine if the baseline has been changed
B. To determine there is a need to change the baseline
C. To assess whether the change can be approved
D. To assess the magnitude of variations that have occurred
6. Which of the following processes is concerned with identifying and documenting the specific activities required to produce the project deliverables?
A Define Scope
B. Define Activities
C. Create WBS
D. Collect requirements
7. Which amongst the following would not be relevant for creating the quality management plan?
B. Organizational quality policy
C. Project scope baseline
D. Schedule baseline
8. Which of the following addresses the functional and physical characteristics of a project deliverable?
B. Engineering plans
C. Technical outlines
D. Configuration management
9. Which of the following motivation theory is best described as a job for life increases loyalty?
A. Theory of Needs
B. Expectancy Theory
C. Contingency Theory
D. Theory Z
10. A project team member informs you that a particular task is taking much more time than what you budgeted. You are surprised because you had not anticipated this delay, and you call a status review meeting of your team to determine whether this variance requires and appropriate response. You are in which of the project management process groups?
C. Monitoring and Controlling
11. You have completed your project delivery and currently are in the project closing process. You have started preparing the lessons learned document. What is the primary objective of the lessons learned document?
A. Quality audit
B. Process analysis
C. Continuous improvement
D. Risk audit
12. Which of the following motivation theory is best described as people can only ascend to a higher level after fulfilling each of the lower levels?
A. Hygiene Theory
B. Maslow’s Hierarchy
C. Theory of Needs
D. Theory X
13. You have just joined a new organization and are taking over a project from another Project Manager who has left the organization. This project is unfamiliar territory for you and you have little experience with this particular industry. With which of the following should you first familiarize yourself with?
A. Work Breakdown Structure
B. Risk Register
C. Enterprise Environmental Factors
D. Project Schedule
14. You are producing a batch of 100 computer chips for your project. Your manager has told you that high quality is very important. If the acceptance sampling defect attribute for the production lot is 10 percent, then you know that:
A Ten computer chips must be tested
B. Ten percent of the computer chips must be tested
C. All of the chips must be tested and they must have 10 percent or fewer defects
D. A sampling of the lot must have 10 percent or fewer defects
15. Which of the following is untrue regarding Risk Reassessments?
A. Control Risks often results in the identification of new risks
B. Control Risks often requires closing risks that are outdated
C. Risk Reassessments should be regularly scheduled
D. Risk Reassessments should only include newly identified risks
16. Which of the following could be a primary cause of a contract change?
A. Change requests
B. Statement of work
C. Inspection results
D. Test procedures
17. Which of the following Conflict Resolution is considered a win-win?
18. According to Tuckman’s ladder, in which development stage do team members begin working together and adjusting their work habits and behaviors to support the team?
19. Which of the following is updated as an output of the “Close Project” process?
A. Administrative Closure Procedure
B. Contract Closure Procedure
C. Final product
D. Organizational Process Assets
20. ___________ follows the Risk Identification process, but _____________ never directly follows the Risk Identification process even if an experience risk manager is involved.
A. Risk Management Planning, Quantitative Risk Analysis
B. Qualitative Risk Analysis, Quantitative Risk Analysis
C. Quantitative Risk Analysis, Qualitative Risk Analysis
D. Risk Monitoring and Control, Risk Response Planning
21. The team is in the process of performing quality activities and quality audits to determine which processes should be utilized to meet the project quality requirements. Which process is the team performing?
A. Plan Quality
B. Control Quality
C. Perform Quality Assurance
D. Validate Scope
22. Which of the following means that communication has actually occurred?
A. The transfer of knowledge
B. The outputting of knowledge
C. The presence of knowledge
D. The transmission of knowledge
23. While closing out project contracts, which of the following documents do you not need to review?
A. The contract itself
B. Procurement audit
C. Invoice records
D. Payment records
24. Which of the following indicates that a project has a CPI of 1.2?
A. PV = 4000, EV = 4800
B. AC = 4000, EV = 4800
C. AC = 4800, EV = 4000
D. PV = 4800, EV = 4000
25. A single-source seller means what?
A. There is only one qualified seller
B. There is only one seller the company wants to do business with
C. There is a seller that can provide all aspects of the project procurement needs
D. There is only one seller in the market
This is only an eighth of the length of the real exam. If you’re interested in learning more about how to prepare and want to take a full length practice exam try the PMP exam prep course online.
If you can get your hands on the PMBOK you will be set for the exam. Just take time to thoroughly read everything, take notes and continue to take online practice courses. You can also use the PMP practice kit as a great tool towards success.
Top courses in PMP
PMP students also learn
Empower your team. Lead the industry.
Get a subscription to a library of online courses and digital learning tools for your organization with Udemy Business.