As the stars of your wedding, you have the freedom to be as creative, classic, or funny as you wish with your wedding programs. However, because the cost of a wedding can really add up these days, there is always the option of making your own wedding programs. To get you prepared with all the elements of your wedding day, we are going to go over some of the best wedding program ideas, as well as how to make a wedding program on your own.
What to Include in a Wedding Program
Before you start making your own wedding program you need to be aware of the specific elements that are generally included in a wedding program. You should initially be aware that wedding programs are basic guidelines of what is going to take place during the ceremony. We are just going to outline what is usually included. However, feel free to make it as personal and individualized as you wish.
- Cover: This is the introduction and welcome for the guests of your wedding. This should include the date of the wedding, the name of the couple, and the location and time of the ceremony. You can also include a picture or another visual element to make the wedding program more visually appealing.
- Ceremony order of events
- Names of officiates, musicians, wedding planners, etc.
- Names of the wedding party.
- List of events that will happen during the ceremony.
- List of the songs, readings, prayers, exchange of vows, ring ceremony, unity cancel, recessional music, etc.
Here are some other things that you may want to include as well:
- An explanation of traditions or rituals that are going to be used in your ceremony.
- A request for audience participation. For example, singing, affirmation of the marriage, standing or kneeling, etc depending on what takes place during the ceremony.
- Thank-you’s that you feel should be publicly mentioned.
- Memorials. Some weddings choose to light candles or honor people that have based who members of the wedding party would like to be remembered.
- A short sentence or exert about each of your bridesmaids and groomsmen to describe why they are important to the wedding and to the bride and the groom.
- An explanation of the significance of the location, the theme, the first dance song, etc.
- Quotes or poems about love or marriage.
- Directions to the reception or gathering following the ceremony.
Popular Wedding Program Ideas
Chalk: If you do not want to go with traditional printed wedding programs, consider using a chalkboard to display a large wedding program at the front or entrance to the ceremony. Chalkboards are very nostalgic for most people and can add a fun and creative element to your wedding.
Puzzle: If you want to get your guests thinking, create a crossword puzzle-inspired wedding program. You can include some fun facts about yourselves (bride and groom), as well as some facts about your wedding party or weddings in general.
Travel-Inspired: Plenty of people plan destination weddings. If yours is one of those, consider a travel-inspired passport design for your wedding program. You can make it cute and sweet by including ribbons or adding your wedding colors to the booklet.
Illustrations: If you have browsed Pinterest lately, you would see that bridal party illustrations are a popular design for wedding programs. However, any type of logo or fun classic design can work as well.
Double-Duty Programs: If you want to include something else inside your program other than just text, such as some blowing bubbles or flower petals, consider this idea: use a brown paper bag and fill it with confetti or flower petals that your guests can use to shower the bride and groom with after their “I Do’s”. A paper bag is a cute and unique canvas for displaying your wedding program as well.
Wedding Favor Program: Your wedding program can also double as a wedding favor. For summer weddings, consider making your wedding program into a beautiful fan.
Newspaper Inspired: If you love reading and writing, you will want to share your wedding story with all your guests. Try out a newspaper inspired wedding program on newspaper-type print. You can even include a crossword puzzle or other facts and trivia on the program that will keep your guests entertained during any downtime in your ceremony.
How to Create You Own Wedding Program
- Outline your wedding ceremony and the events that are going to occur.
- Pick out a computer software program that you can use to make the program. If you do not have a specific print layout program, you can use a simple word processing software.
- Set your computer software program into a “landscape” design. This will help your program appear more like a greeting card.
- Type in your wedding program’s front cover with details of: names, time and date, and location. Save the inside of the program for more ceremony details. Include any special thank-you’s on the back of the program.
- Check for any spelling or visual errors.
- Print your wedding program using card stock. Decide whether you want to print in color or black and white.
- Once you have printed, let the ink dry for a few minutes and fold your card in half.
- Add a personal touch by individualizing it to your taste with our above ideas.
The Perfect Program
With all of these wedding program ideas, you can tell that a wedding program can serve more than one purpose, and you can have as much fun as you want designing and incorporating your own person taste into it. To ensure that the events in your wedding are clear and outlined, enroll in this course for a step-by-step planning events guide.