Topics for Debate to Stimulate
Whether or not you are a natural-born debater, knowing how to structure and present your opinion on a certain topic is an important skill to have. Regardless of whether you are in a debate over frozen yogurt vs. gelato, or trying to persuade your sister to lend you her car, you never know when you are going to need to use your persuasive and confident speaking skills for topics of debate.
If you are gearing up for a debate and can choose your own topic, then you have the freedom to choose a topic that you find interesting, informative, and fitting for your audience. If you would like some assistance in topic choosing, let’s brainstorm together by going over some interesting topics for debate that will be sure to get your opinions stirring!
Tips For Choosing A Topic
Before we get into the topics, here are some tips to keep in mind when choosing a topic for debate:
Choose carefully: You might be tempted to choose something that can be personal to others, however, that is not always the way to go. Select a topic that a wide variety of people will be able to have a stake in discussing. For instance, one that is has recently been covered in the media, or that is politically relevant.
Frame carefully: A topic can be very diverse and general if you do not choose a concentrate case to discuss. Have a concrete situation and example to discuss, and this will allow your data and viewpoints to be analyzed and critiqued effectively.
Be comfortable with your topic: Since you are the one that is going to be arguing for or against it, choose a topic that you are comfortable sharing your personal views on. Also, be aware that you will have your opinions criticized by others. In which case, you might want to steer clear of highly personal topics.
Topics for Debate
Finding the right and most interesting, yet controversial topics for debate is essential to holding a good debate. With the topic you have, you want to be able to research and think critically to have as much support for your topic before you go into your debate. Here are some great topics for debate to get you started and provide you with some practice:
- There is less emotion and more intellect in our ways of life.
- Hospital employees should have the right to strike.
- TV and films have more influence over children than their parents do.
- Women make better politicians than men.
- Money is the biggest motivator for people at the workplace.
- A politician’s private life should be no concern of the public.
- Arranged marriages are more effective than marriages based on “love”.
- Job security is more important than money
- All students should be required to have an after school job.
- Partial birth abortion should be illegal.
- Every student should be required to take a performing arts course in elementary and secondary school.
- Homework should be required.
- School uniforms should be required at all levels.
- Year round education is not a good idea for students.
- The legal drinking age to be able to drink should be lowered from 21 to 18.
- Physical Education should be required of all students throughout all four years of high school.
- Schools should block Youtube.
- All soon-to-be parents should be required to attend parenting classes before having a child.
- Teachers or Professors should not be allowed to contact students through social media.
- Renewable forms of energy should be subsidized by our government.
- It is never appropriate for the government to sensor or restrict our freedom of speech
- Human and animal cloning should be banned.
- Poetry should be removed from school’s curriculum.
- PCs are better than Macs.
Need extra help with public speaking? Check out this post on effective speaking.
- Androids are better and more useful than iPhones.
- The United States Government should fund a space mission to Mars.
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) should be not be allowed.
- All individuals and citizens of a country who do not vote should pay a fine.
- The death penalty should be abolished.
- Sports stars and celebrities should be positive role models.
- The right to bear arms is a necessary constitutional amendment.
- The voting age in which people are allowed to vote should be lowered.
- The driving age in which people should be allowed to drive should be raised.
- The sharing of music should be allowed online.
- Violent video games should be abolished
- Affirmative action should be abolished.
- Students should not be graded on their handwriting.
- America should not send foreign aid to other countries.
- The government should provide wireless internet service for everyone.
- Smoking should be illegal.
- People should be fined if they do not recycle regularly.
- Performance enhancing drugs should be allowed in sports.
- Parents should be allowed to choose their baby’s gender.
- Testing on animals should be banned.
- Corporations should be allowed to donate money to political campaigns.
- US representatives and senators should have term limits.
- Social media comments and posts should be protected by free speech.
- A border fence should be constructed between United States and Mexico.
- Same sex marriage should be legal in all countries.
- Can alternative energy be used to efficiently replace fossil fuels?
- Should animals be used for scientific, educational, or commercial testing?
- Is sexual orientation determined at birth?
- Are cell phones safe to use?
- Should churches, including: temples, mosques, synagogues, etc be tax-exempt?
- Was Bill Clinton a good president?
- Is a college education worth the money?
- Should adults be allowed to keep concealed guns?
- Does lowering the federal corporate income tax rate create jobs?
- Is the D.A.R.E. program good and effective for kids in school?
- Should euthanasia or physician-assisted suicide be banned?
- Should felons or criminals be allowed to vote?
- Is golf a sport?
- What are some of the solutions to combat illegal immigration in America?
- Should marijuana be legalized?
- Is drinking milk healthy for humans?
- Is Obamacare good for America?
- Is obesity a disease?
- Should prescription drugs be available and advertised directly to consumers?
- Should prostitution be legalized?
- Should all Americans have the right to health care?
- Should performance enhancing drugs be allowed in sports?
- Are standardized tests improving education in America?
- Should tablets or laptops replace textbooks in K-12 schools?
- Should the words “under God” be used in the US Pledge of Allegiance?
- Should the US have attacked Iraq?
- Should all kids be required to be vaccinated?
- Are electronic voting machines improving the voting process?
Wow Your Audience!
With all of these options for topics for debate, you are sure to turn up some interesting and informative arguments. Remember that as well as paying attention to supporting and understanding your topic, your overall performance and the manner in which you deliver your speech will affect your overall debate as well. If you need any further help with persuasive speaking or getting used to engaging your audience, Udemy.com offers wonderful courses on the art of persuasive and public speaking. Let’s get you talking and winning!
Empower your team. Lead the industry.
Get a subscription to a library of online courses and digital learning tools for your organization with Udemy for Business.