We all face situations in our daily lives when our memory fails us. We often forget the name of an important person, overlook an important task or turn up to a business meeting at the wrong time! We are amazed at how we forget things but this truly happens, especially when you are under great pressure. By improving memory skills, you can succeed in your chosen career field and also achieve greater productivity. Or simply – save yourself from embarrassment. You can take the first step towards this by adopting certain principles that will improve your memory and help you become a successful learner. Learn more about them in this course on mastering your memory.
Tips to Improve Memory
The human brain is the most sophisticated and complex part of the body and memory storage and retrieval is a complicated process, involving multiple parts of the brain. While memory loss is a normal symptom of aging, we can try to sharpen our brain functions and keep our memories for as long as possible, by following certain practices such as these:
- Meditate to Enhance your Brain Power – Working memory is the place where the information is held on a temporary basis. When you meet a person or hear about an incident, it gets stored in the working memory. If the information is not useful, it gets erased completely within a few days. You should always keep your working memory stronger as it makes your life much easier. Research has shown that meditation helps a lot in improving working memory and in achieving its full potential, which is remembering 7 things at a time! Take this course to learn how to meditate with surprising ease.
- Regular Exercise and Balanced Diet– Studies have shown that regular exercise, complemented by a well-balanced diet goes a long way in enhancing the memory capacity. These are highly beneficial as a nutritious diet will increase the oxygen levels in the brain that can help increase concentration and focus levels.
- Get Enough Sleep – Sleep plays a vital role in improving memory; a deep sleep is the key to store and retrieve information successfully. If you are not getting enough sleep, you should look for ways that can improve your sleeping patterns, which eventually leads to a sharper memory. Learn more about sleep hacking with this course.
- Reduce Multi-Tasking – Multitasking has become very common these days. If we notice the lifestyle of individuals with a hectic work schedule, we will find that most of them are involved in multiple activities at a time. When the brain does two things at a time, it switches from one task to the other rather than doing them simultaneously. This reduces the brain functioning and leads to gradual memory loss. You can improve your memory by concentrating on one thing at a time.
- Reduce Stress Levels – Stress is another common problem that most professionals face these days. It is one of the important reasons for a poor memory performance. If you are under stressful conditions, there will be an impaired communication between the memory cells in your brain that are responsible for creating your memories. If you can take effective steps to reduce your stress levels, you will find a boost in your memory levels, within a week’s time.
Let’s look at a few tips to improve memory retention is specific scenarios, that you’ll commonly face.
How to Memorize Names and Faces Better
Remembering names and faces is often a big challenge for many people. Business owners and entrepreneurs often search for different strategies or methods that help them in remembering the names of people they meet. This is very important especially if you are the owner of a small business or an entrepreneur trying to build your professional network. It helps you identify your clients and customers easily and helps in running your business efficiently. You never know how this small act of remembering names and faces will benefit you, whether professionally or personally. If you face a huge challenge in keeping track of names or remembering faces, then the following tips will help you do so without much struggle:
- When you meet a person, don’t simply nod your head and continue the conversation. Use the person’s name in your conversation, but not in a repetitive way; this will help in mentally registering the name in your brain.
- Spell the name out, particularly if it is an unusual one. This tip is beneficial for those who have a visual memory. If you feel shy to ask the person to spell his name, you can ask for a business card and have a glance at the name while talking to him.
- Learning names comes naturally to some people but if it’s a challenge for you, then it should be your number one priority in building relationships. One of the primary reasons why people forget names is that they give way too much focus on learning them.
Learn and Memorize Vocab of a New Language
Learning a new language is not a difficult task, if you memorize the vocabulary of that language. You can concentrate on learning the vocals of that language, once you have got a grip with the fundamentals. The below tips can help you learn and memorize vocal of a new language without much effort :
- Find a new vocabulary in your target language from a relevant book or magazine
- Make a note of the new words; highlight words that you don’t understand and look up their meanings
- Find synonyms of those words and make a note of them
- Once you are through the process of learning the vocab of a new language, make efforts to memorize the words.
- You can also learn related words or phrases and try to understand their context to avoiding any probable mix ups
How to Memorize Poetry
Memorizing a poem is a standard assignment in most of the schools and colleges. If you want to work on memorizing poetry, then the following steps will surely help you do so:
- Figure out what the poem is about
- Analyse the structure of the poem
- Memorize a single line at a time
- Once you have memorized separate lines, recite them together
Whether you are a student, professional, entrepreneur or a business man, improving memory skills can surely help you reach greater heights. Our course on memorize poetry and improve memory power reveals a unique approach to impress your professor – or that cute girl – with reams of poetry.