Let’s be honest, from October to February, depending on where you live, you relish those cold, cozy days wearing nice, warm ensembles. You wake up each morning, prepare a hearty breakfast, and you go to bed at night with a satisfied tummy. Snap forward to May and you take off that warm hooded sweater to realize that there are still a few cinnamon rolls left — and they aren’t just in your kitchen! It is time to start getting serious about that summer body. Since there is no better time to start than now, we are going to help you get started on your summer workout plan in six simple steps. Join us and all the other hibernating individuals and let’s get you ready with the perfect summer workout plan to rock that summer bod! Summer is right around the corner, and I will give you the tips you need to get in swimsuit shape in the next couple months.
Six Step Summer Workout Plan
As you might know, getting your body back into shape, toning it up, or simply getting into a new workout routine does not come easily, and you will not see changes happen overnight. As such, it is important that you come up with a plan that will suit your needs. Getting into shape and working out does not mean exhausting yourself silly at the gym, or depriving yourself of all the delicious summer treats that you look forward to each year. There is a six step process that you can integrate into constructing a summer workout plan. The steps consist of:
- Setting goals
- Muscle toning
As you can see, a summer workout plan does not just consist of working out; you need to excite your efforts from a few different ways. Before you start to slump down into your lawn chair with some sweet iced tea, let’s get you started on that summer workout plan!
Set Your Goals
A plan is not a plan without any goals or directions.
- Acknowledge your problems: Determine what you want to achieve during your summer workout. Do you want to lose weight? Maybe you want to gain some more muscle. Be honest with the changes you need to make to your body. Perhaps you have been eating way too much sugar every day. Identifying your problem areas will help you tailor your changes accordingly.
- Measurements: Before you begin your plan, take accurate measurements of your body so that you can chart your process easily. This will include: height measurement, circumference of your: upper arms, chest, waist, hips, and thighs, and taking your weight.
- BMI: Finally, calculate your BMI. You can do this online or with an equation. The equation is as follows:
BMI = weight in lbs/ (height in inches)x(height in inches) x 703
Now that you have your goals in place, it is time to get you active. If you are looking to lose weight, the best way to do this is through cardio.
- Running, jogging, walking uphill swiftly, biking, or swimming (not at the gym)
- Elliptical, stationary bike, or other cardio equipment (at the gym)
You will need to aim to do these activities at least 3 to 5 times per week.
- Working out might not be the most exciting thing for you, and overtime, it might get boring. Try these suggestions to keep your workout fun and to keep yourself motivated:
- Try out different types of workouts to determine which one you like the best.
- Mix up your workout routine each day, especially if you find that cardio can get boring for you. For instance, if you do the elliptical every day, try a brisk walk in the evening or running at least 3 times a week.
- Join group fitness or exercise class in person or try our helpful fitness classes online! These classes will put you alongside others that have similar goals and encourage you to push yourself harder.
- If you enjoy dancing, try dancing! It is a great cardiovascular activity that will definitely get your heart a-pumping!
- Yoga or Pilates if you are looking for long and lean muscles and not to “bulk” up.
- Crouches, leg lifts, or planks. All of these exercises will help to target your core muscles and guarantee to make you feel a burn.
- If you are looking to tone your legs, consider squats, burpees, lunges, or a stationary bike that is set on high resistance.
- For your arms, try push-ups or “girl” style push-ups that allow you to keep your knees on the ground. Consider lifting free weights. If you want lean muscles, use a lighter weight, and to bulk up, use heavier weights. There is also plenty of exercise equipment that you can find at your gym, such as chest or shoulder-press machines.
- Additionally, if you find it hard to tone on your own, consider getting a personal trainer or enrolling in a body toning or conditioning class either at a gym or online!
If you thought that a summer workout plan would not involve changing up or modifying your diet, you are wrong. Often times, changes in your diet may be all you need to get the body you want to achieve – especially if you are already working out enough. A great body starts with great, healthy food. Here are some things that you can do with your diet that will help you benefit more from your summer workout plan:
- Eat a ton of veggies. Not a kale fan? Try arugula salads. Try carrots with hummus. Try everything you need and keep a variety in your fridge to not get bored. Not only are they nutritious, they are great at filling you up.
- Count your calories if you feel like you are taking in too much (or just to see how much you take in at all). If needed, reduce your calorie intake so that you can reach your ideal and healthy weight.
- Keep a food diary to track what you eat each day. This will help you remember your food intake to track your calories at the end of the day. Little munches here and there can add up!
- Cut down on the carbohydrates during the summer— this can lead to bloat. Instead, eat more lean protein and fruits and vegetables that will help you fill up quickly and contribute to your muscle gain. You will need some power for those workouts!
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to keep yourself hydrated and your energy levels up!
Stay motivated and track your process
This will help you remember why you are doing the summer workout plan in the first place. Remember to track your process, but not every day (this will make you crazy!) Take some before and after pictures and check to see how your clothes fit after the first few weeks. Having these pictures will not only motivate you to keep going, but remind you as to how far you’ve come!
Tone It Up!
Remember that persistence will pay off. If you find yourself ever feeling sluggish, grab a friend or a family member to workout with you or to create a healthy and delicious summer meal or snack. Or, enroll in one of Udemy’s convenient, helpful, and effective online fitness courses to help you achieve your perfect summer body! Above all, know your body and what it is capable of. Comparing and trying to emulate others’ will not get you very far. Time to whip out those shorts and tanks!