A number of organizations rely on obsolete practices to perform and manage day to day operations. The traditional approaches have an adverse impact on the productivity in terms of the time wasted on performing a simple task. Whether you are running a small or large business, you should always seek methods to optimize the time for production of services that adapt to the norms of top notch quality. Workflows can be used to manage common business processes within the company by enabling the company to combine their business logic with documents or other items in a SharePoint Library. You can learn more about SharePoint in this course.
SharePoint Workflow is a series of tasks that generate some output with the workflow depending on the version you choose and the features that you activate in the workflow template. We will discuss the features of SharePoint Workflow, its components and how to streamline your business processes with workflows.
SharePoint workflow solutions help organizations automate the manual processes by helping the employees become more productive while working with documents and libraries in SharePoint. An employee can easily accomplish the task by starting a workflow on a document. SharePoint workflow solutions help your business save extra-hours by utilizing the resources effectively. Developing an automated SharePoint workflow not only improves the internal and external procedures of your business, but also helps the executives of your company to get an overview of the different operational processes in the organization. Our course on business presentation skills aims to give you and your employees the confidence to produce a great presentation using SharePoint. Microsoft SharePoint not only develops electronic business workflows, but can also be used to encompass a set of software solutions that include process management modules, web collaboration tools and document management system among others.
The time required to coordinate with the business processes can be streamlined by workflow, wherein the manual tasks involved with different processes such as project approval, document review etc. can be managed and tracked in an efficient manner. As a workflow owner, you can check the status page to see if the participants of the work flow have completed their task or not. When the participants of the workflow complete their tasks, the work flow ends and you will be automatically notified that the respective tasks have been completed.
Components of SharePoint Workflow
SharePoint Workflow is a flexible program that allows organizations to develop a workflow based on their business logics in a sequence. It is very important to know about the components of SharePoint workflow, before one starts developing a workflow:
- Events – An event is a process of workflow that enables the workflow to happen
- Steps – It is the basic structure that comprises of actions and conditions
- Actions – An action is a certain instruction that is performed based on the instructions
- Conditions – The direction of the workflow is controlled by the conditions set
Guide to Use the In-built Workflows of SharePoint 2010
SharePoint 2010 has several built-in workflows that allow easy and convenient implementation of your workflow. A variety of good options is available based on the type of action you want to perform. This course on SharePoint is dedicated to the art of learning workflows to suit your business framework. You can make use of built-in interface that requires no special tools to use. Below are some tips that help you to use built-in workflows easily:
- Reassignment and Multiple assignment stage are the two advanced features of SharePoint workflow 2010 that enhances the flexibility of the approval process. You can reassign the work to other employees of your company with the help of reassignment feature. Similarly, you can create several steps of parallel or serial approval with the help of multiple assignment features.
- You can make use of workflows that start automatically when you add or edit items to the workflow.
- You can customize the workflow by adding a menu and list items to improve the look of the workflow. You can make these changes without changing the write code or XML.
Features of SharePoint Workflow
SharePoint 2010 has a number of features that allow business owners to enjoy greater flexibility as and when required. The administrators and developers of your business can create workflows efficiently by using these features. Here is a list of some of the popular features that help organizations to increase the number of scenarios that can be automated:
- Parallel Branches – The functions that have been assigned to a block begin simultaneously using this feature.
- Impersonation Steps – This feature is used when an instruction needs approval from higher authority. The workflow is allowed to run based on the identity of the administrator, instead of the initiator.
- Nested Steps – The actions are organized into sets using this feature. Find out how you can automate your business processes in our course on SharePoint Workflow.
- No-code Workflows – This feature allows the developers to create workflows without using object oriented code. You can develop workflows with the help of predefined events, conditions, actions.
- Reusable Workflows – SharePoint allows developers to create reusable and exportable workflows. They are flexible enough to work with different kinds of lists.
- Workflow Editor – It has a number of editing capabilities similar to MS-Office. The workflow can be arranged in a hierarchical or a sequential pattern containing several actions and conditions.
- Error Checker – Error checking is an important feature that helps developers to keep track of the logic. It can identify potential errors during the development stage rather than during run time.
SharePoint Workflows can be used for performing the basic tasks and can be enhanced by using authoring tools like Visual Studio and SharePoint Designer. Our advanced course helps small businesses to create a SharePoint site and optimize it with custom workflows.
The SharePoint approach supports and anticipates the spread of data within the organization through a very comprehensive approach of storing and managing the information. A wide variety of content needs to be captured as your company grows, and this is possible only by making effective use of SharePoint Workflow. While the fundamental data requirements of any company are unpredictable, SharePoint implements a perfect methodology that helps you deal with the most advanced business needs.