Regardless of whether you are the CEO of a multi-million dollar company or an undergraduate student, at one point or another, you question yourself. Many people spend time in self doubt, and some even find themselves spending long periods of their adult life in cycles of doubt, fear, or constant question.
If you are plagued by self doubt, there are plenty of things that you can discover that will help you turn your thoughts around to trust yourself again. There is no reason to go another day feeling defeated, so let’s take a look at some simple ways that you can transform and overcome self doubt.
Step 1: Why Are You Feeling Self Doubt?
The first step in treating your self doubt it to clearly understand where it is coming from, and why it is coming from a specific source. However, when you attempt to identify self doubt, it is important to remember that not all doubts or feelings of doubt are necessarily bad. If certain things make you feel uncomfortable or cause you to doubt yourself, it could simply be in response to a new or unfamiliar situation. Look at the self doubt you are feeling closely, rationally, and with patience.
- Self doubt does not happen without a reason.
- Self doubt is not 100 percent reliable, but it will point us in the direction of trying to figure out why we feel something is incomplete or not right.
- Doubt of certain kinds can often times be resolved if we look for ways to educate ourselves about a subject or speak with someone to develop a deeper understanding or clarity that we might need.
- Doubt can sometimes be brought on by advice from someone or hearing something you do not understand to create a flawed or irregular image in your head.
- If self doubt is suppressed or unrecognized, it could lead to harmful feelings or actions later down the road. As such, it is important to dig into its source and treat it as soon as you identify the feeling.
Step 2: Experiment with Your Doubts
Once you are able to identify and recognize your doubts, it is helpful to test your doubts. Many doubts can be easily rectified or understood, but others cannot be resolved easily. If you conduct your own experiments to know why you are feeling doubt, you can better help piece together a puzzle that you do not quite understand.
- Self doubt surfaces when we feel that something is wrong with a bigger picture.
- When you recognize your doubt, ask yourself why your mind is objecting or not comfortably processing what you are seeing and why there is any doubt.
- Try to get your mind to look at small details instead of ignoring them.
Step 3: Let Go
There is no way that you can have the answers to everything. If there are things that you find when you are searching for reasons as to why you are feeling self doubt, and you cannot confirm or disprove these things – then let them go. The more excess doubt and confusion that you purge from your life, the more clarity, self assurance, and confidence you will feel.
- As you are letting go of things that are associated with your doubt that you do not understand, it can be helpful to ask yourself these questions: Why do my doubts arise? How do my doubts arise? Why do my doubts make me unhappy? All of these things will help you become more observant and more in tune with your feelings and why you are feeling a certain way.
Step 4: Find Someone to Confide In
Being able to talk and express our doubts to someone can help lessen the affect and magnitude of our self doubt, as well as help us find the answers to our unanswered questions. Sometimes even discussing the problem will help fix it right away, and you might come upon just the advice that you are looking for.
- Joining small group discussions is also a good way to help you rid of any general doubts to find answers that you are looking for.
- Make sure that the person you are talking to is someone you can trust. For example, steer clear of people who tell you things or give you advice along the lines of, “Just don’t think about it”, “Don’t think like that”, or “If you love me you’ll believe it.” Having blind trust in someone will not benefit you in the long wrong.
Step 5: Determine why Doubt Makes you Unhappy
Doubt does not always have to make you unhappy, so try to determine why the doubt you are feeling is making you feel unhappy.
- When you are trying to determine why doubt is causing you unhappiness, know that doubt is something that spreads easily. Once you live in doubt, it is easy to get caught up in conflicting experiences or people that can contribute to ongoing doubt.
- Usually our unhappiness caused by doubt it brought on because doubt tries to mess with our self esteem and security. Rather than let our doubt go, it is comforting to hold on to any insecurity that doubt causes.
- If we do not do anything about our doubt, then the confusion that we feel will only stick around and continue to grow. Therefore, any confusion is usually a warning sign of ongoing or surfacing doubt.
Step 6: Practice Diminishing Negative Thoughts or Feelings
To get yourself and your mind in the habit of eliminating thoughts and feelings of doubt, practice letting go by developing other skills and traits.
- Ask questions and test your satisfaction with things to help put your doubt to rest.
- Solve problems instead of avoiding them to help eliminate doubt or question.
- Understand that letting go of feelings does not mean you are suppressing them. Letting go is a part of accepting and coming to terms with facts and truths of life.
- Letting go with help you grow individually and allow you to move on.
- Doubt does not mean you are weak or inferior. Doubt surfaces for a good reason, so it is important to deal with it head on.
Tips for Boosting Confidence
Confidence and self doubt go hand in hand. If you feel confident and sure of your decisions, thoughts, and feelings, then you are less likely to be plagued by feelings of self doubt. Here are some tips for boosting your self confidence.
- Do not compare yourself to others. Additionally, do not compare or measure your accomplishments alongside those of your friends or colleagues.
- Do not dwell or obsess on what others think of you.
- Make a decision and be happy with it – you can always adjust the course of your decision as you proceed.
- Write yourself or someone else a letter full of positivity or compliments that will help boost their spirits. Plus, by doing something nice for someone else, this will help boost your spirits as well.
- Take time to listen or read positive books or material to keep your thoughts and feelings positive.
- Get a journal and label it your “gratitude journal.” Write things that you are thankful for in it each day.
- Nurture the relationships you have with people who support you and cheer you on through life.
Turn Your Doubt Around
Self doubt can lead us to feelings of insecurity, reduced self esteem, frustration, depression, and despair. The good news is, however, that self doubt can be turned around. To turn your self doubt around, enroll in this course that will supercharge your self confidence in just 30 days.