Why is French such a romantic-sounding language? You could literally be talking about spiders or dust bunnies in French, and no one would know, because it would sound romantic! Sure, some might argue that the French have created and helped to implant unrealistic expectations and images of love in our minds. Regardless, there is something about this Romance language that makes us bat our eyes and pucker our lips a little more than usual whenever we hear it being spoken. For your convenience, we have compiled a handy dandy list of romantic French phrases that are sure to come in handy for wooing your sweetheart, spouse, or your crush from at the gym. Remember: use with caution! These phrases are known to make people weak in the knees!
Tips For Sounding Authentic
If you are not a native French speaker and decide to dive into these love phrases without much practice, chances are that you may not sound the least bit authentic. Here are some tips to make it sound like you hopped right off the Eiffel Tower!
- The “R”: To make yourself sound authentic, pay attention to the “R” sound that you are making. The key here is to push your tongue towards the back of your throat and pronounce it as if you are making a “gee” sound that sounds more like a groan than an English “R”.
- Make your “E”s stretch out as long as possible.
- Turn you “I”s into “ee”s. You will be pronouncing them in a higher pitch and stretching them out as well.
- Stress the last syllable of your sentence out. Or, you cause end in a pitch, as if you would be asking a question.
- Just when you thought using “umm”s in English was bad, French is the time to use these! However, in French, you will use “Euh”, which is the same as saying “um” in English. Throw a few of these in here and there, and you will definitely sound like you know what you are talking about!
Words of Love
Before we get into some phrases let’s take a look at some important French words that are going to get you ready to slip into speaking some love phrases.
Love at first sight: le coup de foudre
Engagement: Les fiançailles
Marriage: Le mariage
Wedding: Les noces, le mariage
Wedding anniversary: L’anniversaire de mariage
Honeymoon: La lune de miel (learn more)
St. Valentine’s Day (card)(une carte de): La Saint-Valentin
Present: Un cadeau
Flowers: Des fleurs
Candy: Des bonbons
Clothes: Des vêtements
Perfume: Du parfum
Jewelry: Des bijoux
Engagement ring: Une bague de fiançailles
Wedding ring: Une alliance
Husband: Un mari, un époux
Wife: Une femme, une épouse
Fiancé: Un fiancé, une fiancée
Lover: Un amant, une amante
Boyfriend: Un copain
Girlfriend: Une copine
Friend: Un ami, une amie*
Dear, sweetheart: Chéri, chérie
Love affair: Une liaison
Love at first sight: Le coup de foudre
Love child: Un enfant d’amour
Love scene: Une scène d’amour
Love story: Une histoire d’amour
Love triangle: Un triangle amoureux
Lovestruck: éperdument amoureux
Brotherly love: Amour fraternel
Casual love affair: Un amour de rencontre
Declaration of love: Une déclaration d’amour
First love: Son premier amour
Labor of love: Une tâche accomplie pour le plaisir
Madly in love: Fou d’amour
My love: Mon amour
Physical love: Amour physique
Platonic love: Amour platonique
Puppy love: Amour juvénile
True love: Le grand amour
Verbs of Love
Love is an action, and it is up to you to express it!
To kiss: Embrasser
To French kiss: Galocher
To date: Sortir avec
To fall in love with: Tomber amoureux (de)
To get engaged: Se fiancer à
To get married: Se marier avec
Without further ado, here are some phrases of love to get you and your sweetheart (or potential sweetheart) in the mood of amour!
I love you: Je t’aime
I love you too: Moi aussi, je t’aime
I adore you: Je t’adore
Will you marry me?: Veux-tu m’épouser ?
You are the joy of my life: Tu es ma joie de vivre.
You are my love: Tu es mon amour:
Love of my life: Amour de ma vie:
You are my man (or) woman: Tu es mon home (or) ma femme
I dream about your eyes day and night: Tes yeux, j’en rêve jour et nuit
I want to be with you: Je veux être avec toi
My love for you is as grand as the world: Mon amour pour toi est aussi grand que le monde.
Your love is as precious as gold: Ton amour est aussi précieux que l’or.
You are, for me, the most beautiful: Tu es pour moi la plus belle.
Let my kisses be the words of love that I don’t say: Que mes baisers soient les mots d’amour que je ne te dis pas.
Although a lot of these might seem a little over the top – that is how the French do it!
Not only is the French language designed for love, but French food seems to carry a very sensual and romantic connotation to it is as well. So, what better way to woe your sweetheart than with some of your adorable French phrases along with a plate of deliciousness!
- Coq au vin: A delightful chicken cooked in red wine with mushrooms and garlic.
- Crêpes: A popular French dessert that has already made its way into the States. These are flat and delicate pancakes typically stuffed with fruit or cream. However, they can be savory as well!
- Baguette: A long yummy piece of carbohydrates = a long French bread loaf.
- Chocolate mousse: A light and airy French dessert for chocolate lovers.
- Éclair: A popular pastry stuffed with cream and topped with icing.
- Crème Brûlée: Custard topped with hard caramel. You’ll want to stick your spoon into this one!
With all of the Amour around you, you will be on the fast-track to enjoying a life of love, chocolate, and passion. Check out Udemy’s online courses for all the French you need to know, and get ready to pucker up!