If you walk down the street in a city, it is not uncommon to see large chain bookstores with “going out of business” signs on their store display windows. The tablets and iPads of reading. Kindles, Nooks, Kobos, and Sony Reader, among others, are taking the reading world by storm. Naturally, people are going to want to be able to read their pdf files on their eBooks. Interested in knowing all about the file conversions? Read on to find out!
Conversion Steps in Calibre
While there is no real standard format yet for eBook conversion, there are some programs that you can use. Here are the steps to converting a PDF file to any eBook into an ePub format using Calibre. This is conversion is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- Get ready for a free download! Go to Calibre.com and download and install Calibre. Calibre is a cross-platform management tool designed specifically for eBooks.
- Once you install your program, you will be greeted with a welcome screen. It will ask you to “Choose your reader” from a list of Manufactures. If this is your first time using Calibre, go ahead and select “Default” as your device type. Click “Next” when are finished.
- Here is the fun part: go ahead and simply drag and drop the eBook that you wish to convert into the Calibre window.
- Once your eBook is in the window, go ahead and edit any metadata to fit your preferences. Do this by right-clicking the book in the Calibre window, select “edit meta information”, and then “edit metadata individually”. Once you are done, click on the “Convert E-books” button in the upper toolbar to continue.
- Make sure that you have the right “Input/Output” format. To do this, look to the far left of the Convert window. You will notice the “Input format” function. On the other side of the screen to the far right, you will see the “Output format”. The “Input format” should already be defaulted to the format that the ebook is in, and the “Output” format should be defaulted as well to “EPUB”. However, if the “Output format” it is in a different format, drop down the tool bar and click on “EPUB”.
Mighty Morphing Conversion Time!
- If everything about your file is to your liking, click “OK”. Keep in mind that you can change the picture of the book cover if it does not suit you.
- Your Conversion should be complete! Once it is finished, right-click on your freshly converted eBook and select “Open”. In this folder, you will find your newly formatted eBook.
That is all there is to it! However, if you want to read your book on your iPad or iTunes, go ahead and drag and drop your eBook into your iTunes program. For an iPad, plug your iPad in, install iBooks if you do not have it already, and drag your ebook from iTunes into your iPad. Drop it in the iTunes sidebar that you will find under “Devices” and start reading!
Other Tips for Calibre
Since you now have Calibre installed, here are some other tips for what you can do with it. Feel free to play around with the program.
- Firstly and most importantly, Calibre is free!
- Calibre offers library management for total electronic control over your eBooks.
- Calibre is able to sync with eBook reader devices for your convenience.
- You can download news, entertainment, or sports articles online and convert it to eBook form for easy reading.
- Calibre offers online access to your library collection.
- Calibre will create an XML container folder for you.
- Calibre offers a fast and easy to use “search book” function.
- Calibre runs smoothly on Windows, Linux, and OS X operating systems.
Let’s Get eReading!
Have fun reading! Although you might still be mourning the loss of conventional page-flipping books, eBooks and eReaders are taking reading the next level. They provide an easily accessible libraries and functions to store and house everything and anything you want to read. There are so many other abilities that eBooks have to offer, so be sure to check out all the other things you can do with an eBook over at Udemy.com.