Online education has significantly increased in both volume and reputation the past few years, and it has become an extremely popular portal for people looking to further their education or pick up degrees later in life. Take Udemy, for example. We have 2 million students and over 8,000 courses available online. For each of these courses, there is a teacher; making teachers an invaluable asset to the learning process. If you are looking to make an impact in the lives of others, online or otherwise, then earning an online teaching degree might be right up your alley.
To assist you in getting started with finding the right online teaching degree program for you, we are going to point you in the direction of some of the top places that you can earn an online teaching degree without having to step foot in a classroom.
Top 10 Online Teaching Degree Programs
UMass Online: The University of Massachusetts Online is one of the largest public online university programs in the country. It offers 20 different degree and certification programs within the field of education. These include:
- A Master’s Degree in Curriculum Studies with a concentration in Autism Studies or Science Education.
- A Bachelor of Arts in Children’s Learning and Development Concentrations.
- A Masters Degree in Education and Vision Studies.
- A Masters Degree in Educational Administration.
All of UMass’s online education programs are accredited. The cost of UMass’s programs will vary on the program and type of course. For instance, a course in the Bachelor of Art’s Children’s and Development program will cost you around $385 per credit. The tuition does not differ between in-state and out-of-state residents.
Western Governors University: Western Governors University (WGU) conducts all of its academic operations online and follows the mission is to, “improve quality and expand access to post-secondary educational opportunities by providing a means for individuals to learn independent of time or place.” WGU is separated into four colleges, offering both bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The Teachers College, one of the four programs, offers bachelor’s degree programs for potential teachers in nine areas. A few of them are:
- Early Childhood Education
- Special Education (K–12)
- Science (5–9)
- Biological Sciences (5–12)
The Teachers College also offers post-baccalaureate and master’s degree programs in an impressive 22 different fields, such as:
- Masters of Arts in Teaching, Elementary Education (K–8)
- Masters of Education in Instructional Design
- Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Masters of Education in Learning and Technology
- Masters of Science in Special Education (K–12)
- Masters of Science in Educational Leadership
WGU’s College of Education offers a more affordable full-time tuition at the price of $2,890 for 15 credits.
Liberty University Online: LU has been pioneering distance education since 1985, and currently enrolls more than 90,000 students from around the world. It boosts more than 160 fully accredited programs and offers degrees in undergraduate and graduate programs.
In the field of education, LU offers:
- Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education for Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Special Education for Interdisciplinary Studies
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Education for Program Specialists
- Master of Education for Early Childhood Teaching and Learning
- Master of Science in Sport Management for Sport Administration
- Doctor of Education
If you are looking to save some bucks, LU’s accredited online programs are one of the most affordable in the nation. Tuition for full-time students in undergraduate programs is $325 per hour, $465 per hour for master’s-level programs, and $495 per hour for doctoral-level.
The University of Southern California: USC is a popular name when it comes to education, and at their Rossier School of Education, they offer:
- Three non-degree programs.
- Professional-development programs in K to 12 and continuing education.
- Seven master’s degree programs.
- Three doctoral degree programs.
Its most popular offering is its fully online Master of Arts in teaching program. However, the program is a bit more costly than others, as the tuition is currently $1,420 per unit.
Arizona State University: Another well known University, ASU, has a highly regarded online virtual campus. ASU offers the following degree programs in the field of education:
- Master of Arts or Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Master of Education in Educational Administration & Supervision
The Curriculum and Instruction degree programs have a more diverse area of specialization, such as:
- Early Childhood Education
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Teaching and Learning, Autism Spectrum Focus
- Teaching and Learning, Gifted Education Focus
There are plenty of more programs that you can look into online. Before you go any further, however, let’s take a look at some of the benefits of choosing to obtain your teaching degree online.
- Flexibility: You will be able to work anywhere, whether you are a stay at home mom or trying to obtain your degree after your regular work hours.
- Qualified Instructors: All accredited online education program are taught by highly qualified instructors from with practical experience in teaching.
- Enhanced Communication: You can easily email, chat, or have group discussions with instructors and your fellow online classmates.
- Cheaper: Online degrees tend to offer students less financial pressure. They can still keep a part time job, which would be harder if they were to attend an in-person lecture.
- Easily Accessible Study Materials: Online, there are large amounts of research and study material available, such as: articles, eBooks, and research papers.
Start Learning to Teach!
In this day and age, teachers need to be as tech savvy as their students, so why not earn an online teaching degree to prepare you for your teaching career! To pick up some useful skills for online teaching, join other teaching-hopefuls like yourself in courses taught here at Udemy.com and get on the road to impacting the lives of other learners.