One instructor earned $13,477 this week in 2012.
That’s right—this time last year, a Udemy instructor teamed up with a popular blog for a holiday promotion, and the results:
$13,000 in sales…in one day!
Can you do this, too? ABSOLUTELY!
You may not be able to break the $13,000 record (or maybe you can!), but you can certainly give it your best before New Year’s.
Below is a detailed, step-by-step guide to get the best results possible from your holiday campaign.
HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN:
1. Identify 5-10 popular blogs in your category or in a related niche targeting your ideal audience. [Note: Udemy is already working with Digital Photography School and UX Mastery, so please reach out to blogs aside from those.] Hint: Do a Google search for long tail keyword phrases and questions that you cover in your course (e.g. What’s the best way to train for a marathon? What are best practices for responsive web design?) to find popular blogs that have content related to your course.
2. Email the blogs positioning yourself as an ideal partner for a holiday promotion.
Here’s a sample outline for your outreach email:
- Paragraph 1: Compliment the person on their blog or content site. Be genuine and point out a specific detail/article you love about/on the site.
- Paragraph 2: Introduce your Udemy course, who it’s for, and that you’d like to partner on a holiday campaign to their readers.
- Paragraph 3: Provide a free coupon for your course for the blog owner to check it out.
- Paragraph 4: Ask the blog owner to email you asap if interested and indicate that you have specific ideas on how to run a successful campaign that you’ll share when they confirm interest.
- Paragraph 5: Thank them for their time.
Hi [blog owner],
I really enjoyed your “Top 10 Running Trends for 2013” article. I ran my first marathon this year and wish I had that article when I was training. :)
I actually just published an online course “Marathon Running for Beginners,” and I was hoping to partner with you for a holiday campaign to your readers. I’m really passionate about helping more people run their first marathon.
My course is hosted on Udemy, and a fellow Udemy instructor partnered with a blog last year and together they made over $13,000 in one day (and $20,000 that month). I’m not saying we’ll do those numbers :), but I just wanted to let you know what’s possible.
Here’s a free coupon code for you to check out my course: [direct coupon URL].
Let me know if you’re interested in doing a holiday campaign and offering my course at a discount to your readers. As you know, the end of the year is fast approaching, so there’s a fast turnaround on this.
I have a few ideas on how to execute this so we get the best results possible, and I can explain everything when you confirm you’d like to move forward. Thanks so much for your time and for putting quality content out there!
3. When they respond, send them information on how to become an affiliate, if they agree to partner with you for the promotion. (Tell them to apply at udemy.com/affiliate and email email@example.com with your affiliate’s name and email address, so our Affiliate team approves their application immediately. Once they’re approved, give them your instructor coupon(s), and they can create a discounted affiliate link here: Custom Links page.)
4. Provide recommendations on how to carry out the promotion so they maximize their chances of succeeding. Here’s how instructor Dr. David Travis achieved insanely great results…
Dr. David Travis partnered with UX Mastery and gained over 300 paying students. The promotion consisted of:
- UX Mastery posted a glowing review of his Udemy course on their blog, along with a coupon code for 75% off for the first 25 students and another discount for the next 300 students. In the blog review, the writer gave it a rating of 10/10. Here’s what he said about the course: This really is online education at its best: the content is comprehensive, well-structured, and up-to-date, and it’s delivered by an instructor who is likeable, funny, and uses interesting examples.
- UX Mastery featured the promotion at the very top of their newsletter and converted readers with compelling copy: We have some exciting news! David Travis, who created the amazing online course User Experience: The Ultimate Guide To Usability has kindly offered an exclusive discount on his course for our newsletter subscribers. Use the discount code UXMASTERY when you sign up, and you’ll receive David’s course for only $49 instead of the regular $199. That’s a whopping 75% off! Sign up here [coupon link]. If you were previously on the fence about this course, now’s the time to take advantage of this special price—but the offer is only available to the first 25 people who use the discount code.
- Discounting the course at the magic number. When anyone signs up for his course, Dr. David Travis asked them what they want to get out of the course and why they chose it, and after the UXMastery coupon, many of them said it was because the offer seemed too good to miss. With his course, the magic price (after a discount) is not $149 or $99 (he’s tried those), it’s $49.
- Email promotion & a course review performed better than Twitter promotion to 300,000 followers. “I previously tried partnering with another popular UX blog. I offered them a $50-off coupon, and they tweeted it to their nearly 300,000 followers, but I only had 5 people use the coupon. I think this is because they didn’t review the course—they just tweeted out the coupon code.” —Dr. David Travis
Remember that most traditional blogs have an abundance of content and shortage of items to sell to their audiences. You are giving them an opportunity to provide something relevant and valuable that their audience wants! Give it a try—you may knock it out of the park like Dr. David Travis and the other instructor who earned over $13,000 in one day!
Bottom line: It’s not too late to get students into your course before New Year’s! And now you have the complete guide to reach out to blog partners and put a holiday campaign in motion right away. It’s time to get Googling (or leveraging existing blog relationships)!