Laptops have become almost a household staple throughout the United States and many other parts of the world. When a laptop isn’t functioning properly, it can be frustrating and have a major effect on the person who needs to be able to use it. This especially applies to the many people throughout the world who use their laptops to complete homework assignments for school or work-related tasks. A person’s job and/or grades could be put in jeopardy when their laptop isn’t working the way it should.
For this reason, it is crucial for a laptop user to understand common laptop problems and learn how to troubleshoot and resolve them. Udemy’s Computer Repair – A Guide for Beginners course is an excellent resource for anyone who wants to be able to repair their laptop when they are experiencing problems. By repairing your own laptop, you can avoid the costly fees that are often associated with computer repair.
There are several preventative measures that you can take to ensure that your laptop functions optimally for as long as possible. A few of these measures include:
- Installing anti-virus software – This will help prevent viruses from harming your computer.
- Cleaning your keyboard – Some laptops have keys that are likely to stick or pop off if the keyboard is not cleaned out periodically. This is commonly done by using a can of compressed air to force the food and dust particles out from behind the keys. Also, the keyboard should be wiped down periodically and/or cleaned with a cotton swab.
- Cleaning your USB ports – When USB ports become clogged with dirt or dust, they can stop functioning properly, so it is important to clean them regularly. Otherwise, they may cease to function altogether.
While these are great preventative steps to take, sometimes laptops still have various issues. It is important to know how to fix your laptop when it isn’t working properly. You can take Udemy’s Eli The Computer Guy Collection course to learn how to repair your computer. This course also includes security basics, networking tips, and web design lessons, so it’s a great resource for anyone looking to boost his or her computer skills in general.
Another good practice for laptop care is to always back up your files, photos, and anything else that you want to take extra care to preserve. Sometimes, a laptop can cease to function even when it has been cared for properly; all of the files and media on the laptop could be lost if this happens. For this reason, a user should back up his or her files; there are a couple different ways to do this:
- External Hard Drives/Flash Drives – You can store your important files on an external drive or you can use the external drive to move your files over to a second computer. It is a good idea to do both, in case your external drive or your second computer ever experience problems.
- Email – If you do not have a large amount of files that you want to store, you can email the files to yourself and store them in your inbox.
- Online storage – There are several websites online dedicated to file storage. This is a great option because you don’t have to worry about any hardware failures; you will always be able to easily access your files online and can usually store more this way than when using email.
Udemy’s Computer Essentials course is a great resource for anyone looking to learn how to back up their computer and/or certain files and media on their computer. This course also offers extensive lessons on many other computer-related topics, such as systems development, programming, and application software.
Online computer threats, such as viruses, are a common problem. Viruses vary and can behave in different ways, but they all pose a threat to the computer that they infect. It is important for a computer user to be fully aware of such threats, learn about how to avoid and prevent them, and learn about what to do if their computer falls victim to an online threat.
A computer virus, simply put, is a small computer program that can self-replicate and attach itself to a program or certain files. After the virus infects your computer this way, it starts to negatively affect your computer. The negative effects of viruses vary largely, but they can include:
- Resetting the clock on your computer
- Erasing files and folders
- Causing your computer to crash
- Causing your computer to run slowly
- Destroying software
- Causing a company’s entire network to shut down
Many of the viruses that cause these detrimental effects can be avoided by the installation and use of an anti-virus program. Also, it is helpful for the computer user to have some basic computer knowledge to troubleshoot problems.
Spyware is another type of malicious software that can have devastating effects on your computer. Spyware, like a virus, can perform many negative actions on a computer, including:
- Gathering information and delivering it to interested parties
- Stealing your passwords
- Logging your keystrokes
- Re-directing your web browser
- Sending you unwanted emails
Many spyware programs are cleverly delivered to computer users in the form of a seemingly harmless download. Even the most innocent-looking web page components and offers for online service subscriptions can contain programs that are harmful to a computer. Fortunately, computer users can obtain anti-spyware software to assist with avoiding this potential problem. It is also important to be very cautious about downloads and avoid anything that states “the vendor is allowed to install a third-party software on your computer.” Usually, this is in fine print and is overlooked, but catching and avoiding it can make a huge difference for a computer user.
Overall, when it comes to computer security issues, knowledge is power. When you know how to prevent security threats and troubleshoot them, you give your computer a greater chance at safety from being infected by malicious software. Taking Udemy’s Computer Security course is a great way to empower yourself to protect your computer from malicious software and to help ensure that it stays in optimal working condition at all times.
It is not uncommon for a computer user to notice that his or her machine, after being used for some time, does not run as quickly as it did when first purchased. It may take a longer-than-necessary amount of time to perform simple tasks, such as navigating between folders or opening a web browser. This can be quite frustrating, and there are a few common causes for the reduced speed:
- Security problems – A computer user, upon noticing that their computer is not running as quickly as usual, should perform security checks to ensure that malicious software has not infected the computer. Even if a user has anti-virus and anti-spyware programs installed, if they are not up to date, new threats can sneak in and have harmful effects on the computer.
- Normal wear/aging – Sometimes, a laptop simply must be replaced. However, you can usually increase the speed of your laptop by cleaning out certain files and programs.
- Startup programs – When too many programs are set to automatically launch when the computer starts up, speed issues are almost always present. You can resolve this issue by minimizing the number of programs that automatically load when you start your computer.
- Lack of RAM (Random Access Memory) – You can resolve this issue by installing more RAM on your computer.
For additional information to help you determine why your computer is running slowly and tips to help you resolve the issue, read Udemy’s Why Is My Computer Running Slow blog post.
In addition to the aforementioned tips, there are a few other things that you can do to avoid laptop problems and help ensure that your machine stays in good working condition for a long time.
First of all, keep your pets and small children away from your laptop whenever possible. This will help you keep your laptop in good physical condition and may help prevent damage to the computer hardware that could be caused by an animal or small child dropping or knocking a laptop onto the ground. Additionally, keeping your laptop away from your pets and small children can help ensure their safety.
Older children, teenagers, and other adults can also be a threat to a laptop; while they may not pose a physical threat like small children and pets, they can do serious damage to a laptop if they choose to download an unsafe file or program. For this reason, it is important for you to educate everyone who will be using your laptop about malicious software and how it can be avoided.
Second, be sure to organize your wires and take care of them. Sometimes, the piece of the laptop charger that plugs into a laptop can become bent; this can cause your charger to become dysfunctional. Laptop chargers can be hard to find and expensive to replace, so taking extra care to make sure that they don’t become damaged is very important. Also, organizing your wires and keeping them out of the way can prevent an accident caused by you or someone else tripping over the wire. This could cause damage to both the wire and the person, so it should be avoided whenever possible.
Finally, you should always be aware of the temperature of your laptop. If it is overheating, many problems, such as data loss and random computer crashes, may start to occur. You can help resolve this issue by purchasing a laptop cooling pad to help regulate the temperature of your computer.
In conclusion, the best thing that you can do to prevent and troubleshoot laptop problems is educate yourself on basic computer care, prepare for the worst by backing up your files and media, and learn how to troubleshoot and repair any problems that you encounter.
By taking Udemy courses such as Web Security Essential Training, you can prevent your computer from becoming infected by malicious software and educate yourself on the different types of attacks that may occur on a computer. Udemy has many other resources and courses available to help you prevent problems with your laptop. Take a course today, and empower yourself to care for your laptop properly and prevent potential threats.