Like it or not, books are getting put on the back burner these days. If you were anything like me, you grew up relishing in creeping under the covers at night with a paperback in hand, or snuggling up to your favorite hard cover with a hot cup of chocolate. Today, Kindles, eBooks, and eReaders are taking over the print world by storm. If you want to get a book published, the most innovative and fast way to do it now is through Amazon’s Kindle self-publishing feature.
Over the internet, anyone can publish nearly anything. There are places such as: WordPress, Blogspot, and Tumblr where you can publish a sentence, picture, story, or review in just a few short steps. In one simple click, your work will be all over the internet for everyone to see. Amazing, right? So, say you want to write a book, and you want to self-publish on a Kindle. Want to know how? We have the steps on how to successfully Kindle self publish right here for you. Finally, the publishing waiting game is over!
First, why Kindle? Good question and we have the answer.
- Kindles are made possible by Amazon, which is one of the largest paid search engines in the world. With all the people visiting Amazon each day, why not have your product (book) out there on a site where people are actively looking to buy things?
- You have the potential to reach billions of readers and people around the world.
- The Kindle app itself is available on almost every major web browser and smart phone. It is also available to use on both Windows and Mac computers. Once you hit publish, your eBook will be available through all of these verticals.
- The whole publish process that Amazon’s Kindle platform offers in pretty much hassle-free.
- Amazon knows how to market their products. If your book sells some, it will refer your book within its site to shoppers who are not necessarily looking for your product.
- Concentrating your book to Amazon will encourage it to climb the sales ladder in a single place.
Kindle Self-Publishing Steps
Feel like getting your work out there for the world to see? Here are the steps you can take to go about doing so:
Write: Okay, honestly this might be the hardest part about the whole self-publishing process. Even if you consider yourself a “writer”, the process of writing is never an easy one. If you are self-publishing, you probably also have some extra pressure to make your writing unique and as good as it can be. Try breaking the writing process down into three parts to make it a tad easier:
- “Purge Draft”: For your first draft, you basically just want to let everything out there in the open. Imagine you are giving a speech for the first time and you have all this information packed in. Just get it all out there. Put down all of your ideas, characters, scenes, plots, and themes out there so that you can put them together later. Don’t worry if things look messy here!
- Developing Draft: This is the point where you spend time constructing and developing what you want to say. You will create a sort of structure that will make your story flow and make sense.
- Editing Draft: At this point, you will want to get someone to proofread or edit your draft. Recruit a few friends who you know are good with English or some family members and get their feedback. Do not discount the idea of hiring a professional editor, as it may prove to be helpful in the long run.
Format: The writing process is done! It is now time to format your text into Kindle. Here is what you will need to do:
- Format your text for Kindle. You can use the Calibre program, or, you can have someone else do it for you. The second option is often the best, especially if you are serious about the self-publishing process.
- Create a cover. If you have been to a library or bookstore before, you will know that, most of the time, it is the book’s cover that is initially what catches your eye. Therefore, it is important to design a cover that is going to look professional and be eye-catching at the same time. You can consult some outside sources for design help as well, just make sure that your image is in a JPEG file, with the longest side being at least 2500 pixels, and a height to weight ratio of 1.6.
- Proofread: Even though you have had friends, family members, or a hired publisher proofread your book, you should be the last one to check for spelling errors and proofreading mishaps in your text. Better safe than sorry!
- Set up an Amazon.com account if you do not already have one. Go to kdp.amazon.com and sign in.
- Input your tax information in order to receive royalties.
- Click on “Bookshelf” and click “Add New Title”.
- Fill out this form. On the form, include your book’s title, a description, and keywords that you think people will search for if they want to find your book or something similar to your book’s topic.
- Upload your book cover in JPEG format.
- Upload the book file.
- Click onto Amazon’s online viewer to make sure that you book and book cover looks the way you want it to.
- Once it is to your liking, click “Save and Continue”.
- Click forward into the “Rights and Pricing” page and choose “Worldwide Rights.”
- Pick a 70% royalty rate, select your price, and wait until the international prices have adjusted to the US price. You will notice that most eBooks are priced around $2.99 to $9.99. A good idea is to maximize your royalty rate.
- Almost there! Click “Save and Publish.”
- As soon as your book is published, Amazon will send you an email. This can take anywhere between 24 and 48 hours.
Get Reviews: If you have navigated around Amazon before, you will notice that most of the popular products have hundreds of reviews along with them. If people do not know you, buyers will use these reviews as indication that your work is good based on what others say. Do not let reviews go lightly – you will need them in the online world! The easiest way to do this in the beginning is to send your book to people you know, and have them send it along to their friends. Also, utilize any social media that you have to spread the word.
Launch: After you have some reviews in place, it is time to make your eBook go live! Here are some things that you can do to make your launch successful:
- Offer incentives to people who purchase it.
- Send emails to everyone you know making them aware of your book’s release.
- Share and promote your book on online forums and social media outlets.
Get Your Words Out There!
If you know how the internet works, you will know that things can spread fast, and that is the beauty of Kindle self publishing! In this day and age, things are instant, so what are you waiting for? Head on over to Udemy and enroll in a self-publish or writing class to help you get started, and publish your story today!