If you find yourself looking for ideas on how to raise your self esteem, then you have probably been feeling a bit down lately. We are going to let you in on a few things: there is nothing wrong with feeling down sometimes, it is great that you can acknowledge your feelings, and there are plenty of things that you can do to turn that frown upside down.
Remember, like Eleanor Roosevelt said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.” We are going to give you some helpful tips on how to raise your self esteem, all of which have to do with changing the way you think about yourself. Read on for ways that can help you face those rough days with confidence.
Three Ways to Raise Self Esteem
There are three methods that you can take to raise your self esteem, and they are as follows:
- Improve yourself
- Stand out
- Eliminate Negativity
To guide you along through the process, we are going to take a look at each of these methods and the practices associated with them to get you feeling your best.
Your self esteem will ultimately start with you and stem from the way that you view yourself. One method of raising your self esteem is to work on yourself.
- Take time to dress yourself: If you walk out of the house, or around the house looking baggy and run down, you are going to feel that way. If you spend time to dress yourself in clothes that you feel comfortable and nice in, your personality will reflect your physical appearance. We do not mean going out and spending a ton of money. Simply pick out clothes that match and develop your own sense of style.
- Pay attention to your personal appearance: It should be a given that you bathe regularly, but also make sure that your clothes are always clean and that you’re looking groomed most, if not all, of the the time. Taking care of your personal hygiene will make you feel good about yourself.
- Stand tall: They say that the way you hold your body will impact your self confidence. Try practicing good posture by standing up straight, keeping your chin up, and making eye contact with whomever you are talking to –even strangers! This will help you show others, and yourself, that you feel confident and empowered.
- Physical fitness: Feeling good about yourself involves feeling good about your body – and this can be something that a lot of people struggle with. However, rather than spending time feeling out of shape or insecure, try going outside and doing simple things like taking a walk, washing the car, or going to the gym with a friend. Getting your blood pumping will make you energized, alert, and toned.
- Give: An overlooked way to feel better about yourself is to do things for others. By volunteering or giving back, you will feel a sense of contribution, community, and importance in the lives of others.
Making yourself feel individual and unique is a great way to raise your self esteem and keep you from falling into comparison traps that only bring you down.
- Make others smile: People with low self esteem generally have a hard time taking in compliments. Try switching things around by getting into the habit of giving others compliments. If you look for wonderful qualities in other people, you can help to bring out those same qualities in yourself.
- Get noticed: Doing things to make other people aware of you and your presence will show that you are not afraid and exhibit a sense of self confidence. Those with low self esteem tend to show away or hide while nurturing an irrational fear that they don’t belong. Do not be afraid to stand out!
- Speak up: People who are quiet will never have an opinion, and will never be able to have a voice within a group. By practicing voicing your opinion and speaking in a group discussion, you will be able to prove to yourself and others that your opinions matter. You will also build the confidence that you have in your own personal thoughts.
- Act fast: People who are confident and sure of themselves walk quickly and as if they have a purpose, even if they are just walking to the restroom or through the grocery store. Simple things like this will help you raise your confidence and make you feel important.
A negative inner voice or negativity from others can only work to hinder your self esteem and keep it down. No matter where negativity may be coming from in your life – get rid of it! There is no room for these emotions in a person who is confident.
- Have daily affirmations: When you wake up, you prepare yourself for how you are going to feel for the rest of the day. Be prepared to wake up positively with some daily affirmations to remind you that you deserve to be happy. This will help eliminate any negativity or guilt that you might be feeling. If there are emotions or relationships keeping you from feeling your best, eliminate them or work to fix them.
- Make decisions: People who have low self esteem generally have a hard time making decisions for themselves in fear that they will hurt themselves or others. A great way to overcome this is to just make your decisions! No one is always going to make the right choices, but do not beat yourself up for making a mistake or buying something that you do not really need. Learn to be secure with your choices, and learn from them if need be.
- Make yourself happy: Do something every day that is going to make you happy. Instead of sacrificing your needs for the sake of someone else, or to meet someone elses criteria, do things that make you happy. Do not allow others to take advantage of you or your decisions.
- Be you: When people with low self esteem fall into the comparison trap, they may continuously strive to be someone else. This is exhausting – just be you. If you focus on being the best you that you can be and honing in on your talents, you will be able to let your uniqueness shine. Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot strive to be your best.
- Avoid negative relationships: We all have those people in our lives that are going to put us down or say we cannot do something. If you do not have a strong voice, you will continuously let them walk all over you. Try to avoid these relationships as best as possible. Even if you have to hear their opinion sometimes, let it go in one ear and out the other.
- Face your fears: Those with low self esteem tend to not do anything different our outside of their normal routine because they fear failure. The truth is, however, failure is a part of our everyday lives; and it makes us human! If things do not turn out the way we planned, the best we can do is take those failures and learn from them in the future. Don’t let yourself stay down, get back up!
- End negative thinking: If you are consciously aware of your negative thinking, then you can help turn your thoughts around. Instead of saying things like, “stop”, “no”, or “I can’t do that”, be able to say “yes” and encourage positive thinking. If you were around people who always used negative words with you, this can be hard, but by making it into a habit you will be able to use positive thinking to your advantage in no time.
- Stop perfection: We all want to be “perfect”, but trying to aim for perfect on a daily basis is not going to get us anywhere. Try to be the best you that you can be in your eyes. If you go through your day trying your hardest and working your best, then you can go to bed at night knowing that you did the best you could. Instead of trying to be perfect, set some realistic goals for yourself and work to achieve them in the more efficient and effective ways possible.
- Reward yourself: Maintaining your self esteem is hard work. At the end of the week, or once you have completed some of your goals; take the time to reward yourself. This can be anything from a trip to the nail salon, your favorite sweet treat, or a night out at the movies.
Be The Best You That You Can Be!
At the end of the day, nothing is more important than how you think and how you feel about yourself. So put aside any negative thoughts, take a few deep breaths, and remember how important, accomplished, and strong you are. And remember, that your happiness begins with you. If you need any helpful reminders on how to keep yourself feeling strong and in charge of your self esteem, this course on how to reclaim your positivity will be wonderful for you.