When you are chatting with your friends, what subjects do you talk about? It is probably rare that your conversations or persuasive topics are limited to politics, pro-life/choice, or health care laws. Chances are you probably have some pretty funny persuasive speech topics from time to time, such as if your parents should be using Facebook or if guys gossip more than girls.
Many people have the idea that persuasive speeches should be reserved for serious topics of debate. However, persuasive speeches are simply speeches that effect and evoke emotion in the minds and hearts of those who listen to them. Funny persuasive speeches are able to give color, light, and opinion to speech topics while keeping an audience actively engaged. Here are some funny persuasive speech topics if you are looking to address a light-hearted audience, or just looking for something fun to debate about.
Need a little help with speaking in public? Here are some tips to public speaking, the fearless way.
How to Write a Persuasive Speech (Funny or not)
Whether or not your speech is funny, the most important thing about a persuasive speech is being able to write and execute it effectively. Here are some tips on how you can make your persuasive speech perfect.
- Know your audience: Knowing your audience and the demographic that you are going to speak to is essential to knowing how you are going to outline and give your speech properly.
- Foresee obstacles: Know that you might hit some road blocks in your speech, or have people who do not understand your stance. By looking ahead at some of these roadblocks, you can better prepare for if they do come.
- Have ideas: Write down your ideas and your strategies for giving your speech.
- Practice: Practicing your speech multiple times before giving it is crucial in the preparation process. The more you practice, the more prepared you are going to feel.
- Find any weaknesses: We all have weaknesses when it comes to public speaking, so pick out any bad habits that you find yourself doing while you are practicing and practice avoiding them before your speech.
- Have a great introduction: You are going to want to go into your speech and hook your audience. Have a story, a line, or a quote in the beginning of your speech that is going to catch the attention of your audience.
- Edit: Do not be afraid to keep editing your speech up to your presentation day to make sure that you do not miss any details.
- Focus: Make sure your speech focuses on your topic and that your argument is conveyed clearly and effectively to your audience.
Funny Persuasive Speech Topics
Let’s take a look at some funny persuasive speech topics that will put your audience into a stitch:
- The term “Little people” is less offensive than using the words ‘dwarf’ or ‘midget.’
- Women are genetically disposed to not be as funny as men.
- If you save paper towels, then you are saving the forests.
- Sex needs a new type of metaphor, aside from the baseball terms that you use, such as: scoring, getting to first base, if there’s grass on the field play ball, etc.
- Scientists should stop in scientific jargon to us and make their ideas more easily understandable.
- Parking and coffee should be included in a college tuition fee.
- How do you handle people who mean well, but who you do not like?
- Why you deserve to be the boss instead of your current boss.
- Prints of body parts other than fingers should be taken. For example: ear prints, just in case the burglar caught by his ear-print on the window glass. Perhaps he was listening to find out if the coast was clear!
- Blondes actually are stupid.
- Men should be forbidden to wear skinny jeans.
- Grades do not matter.
- The work week should be shortened down to four days.
- Horror movies are good ways to experience an adrenaline rush.
- Funny pick up lines work all of the time.
- Blaming the horoscope when things go wrong is helpful and makes you feel better.
- All is fair in love and war, but not in burping and farting.
- If we had a woman as a president, there would be more wars.
- It is not wrong to steal bread to feed your family.
- Women should leave the seat up for a man’s convenience.
- Schools should ban Harry Potter because it promotes witchcraft.
- Playing games raised your IQ in different ways.
- A thumb is as important as your other fingers.
- Reverse discrimination.
- Men are happier than women are.
- If a woman hits a man, the man should be able to hit her back without it being called abuse.
- Too much rhetoric and speech caused the fall of the Roman Empire.
- You should keep your parents off of Facebook.
- Banks should have to ban hats and sunglasses in order to avoid robberies.
- You should make your friends pay every time, all the time when you go out with them.
- Guys gossip more than girls do.
- Adult children living at home can be a pain for parents and younger siblings.
- A majority of vegetarians actually do not even love animals.
- Here is how to eat foods that you do not like.
- Why being fair does not work all the time, and sometimes works against you.
- Larger passengers should be obliged to purchase two plane tickets for a flight.
- Being a weekday vegetarian in a carnivorous culture.
- You should limit alternatives to make the process of making choices easier.
- Reincarnation is a fact.
- Why moist cookies are better than dry (Bring cookies to demonstrate and provide evidence).
- Boys should be allowed to cross dress and wear skirts in public and in school.
- Children of divorced parents should have the right to divorce their parents if they choose to do so.
- There must be a breakup insurance policy available to everyone.
- We should eat lionfish to stop their invasion.
- Everyone should have to donate their locks.
- How to persuade someone to take the blame for a mistake that you made.
Tickle Some Funny Bones!
With these great suggestions, get ready to feel the rewards from the pleasure and laughter that comes with presenting a funny persuasive speech that will differentiate you from the crowd. Feeling a little nervous? Check out some of these online courses to help calm your nerves and get ready to give the speech of your life!