Fashion Marketing: All You Need to Know
The main goal of those in the field of fashion marketing is to increase sales. They work to create innovative advertisements to be displayed on a range of networks in order to draw the attention of potential customers around the world. In the sections below, we will discuss the different career opportunities, abilities learned, and skills needed in the field of fashion marketing.
To learn more about fashion marketing put to use on the Internet, take a look at this course on online business marketing strategies!
Fashion marketing offers a wide variety of career path opportunities ranging from entrepreneurship to publicity. These professionals work in many different settings, such as boutiques and department stores.
- Team member for marketing or management in a fashion design/marketing company.
- Public relations professional.
- Entrepreneur with a marketing firm.
- Visual merchandiser or stylist.
- Assistant retail manager.
- Buyer/assistant buyer.
- Fashion coordinator.
- Marketing coordinator.
- Product and sales developer.
- Product coordinator.
- Wholesale showroom assistant manager.
For more information on the methods and processes that go into being successful in a fashion marketing career, check out this course on marketing strategies.
Abilities Learned from Fashion Marketing
If you’re on the fence about entering into a fashion-marketing program or are simply interested in the various different skills that can be acquired through the study of this field, you should know the focal point of programs in this field. Fashion marketing works to advance your knowledge of business-based operations and strategies that can be applied to the world of fashion in order to promote products and influence buyers to pay more attention to the company. In a Fashion Marketing program, you’ll learn many skills, particularly in the areas of:
- Sales and event promotion
- Consumer behavior
- Brand marketing
- Global marketing
- Visual merchandising
- Retail operations and technology
- Retail buying
- Media planning and buying
- Apparel evaluation and production
- Business management
- Product development
- Financial management
- Public relations
- Trends and concepts in apparel
- Event planning and promotion
To learn more about how becoming educated in this field will increase your knowledge in many different areas, take a look at this course on marketing!
Successful fashion marketing professionals are:
- Self-reliant: Fashion Marketing employees need to be able to rely on their own skills and abilities as sufficient enough to complete tasks and projects.
- Business-oriented: Fashion Marketing employees must always keep their focus on the business-related task at hand, ensuring that the client or customer is always taken care of.
- Excellent communicators: Since this career path demands a great deal of interaction between marketer and client, the ability to communicate is a highly sought after skill.
- Social media savvy: Promotion is the name of the game in fashion marketing and there are no better ways to do so than to make use of social media. Whether it be through tweeting, posting, or sharing, social media is always the most convenient and simplistic way to get the word out.
- Creative: What is it that really makes an individual shine in the field of fashion marketing? Creativity, of course. Innovative and unique approaches to advertising and selling products is something sure to make any employee stand apart from his or her colleagues.
- Thick-skinned: The field of marketing will, unfortunately, not always bring prosperous results to individuals so maintaining an upbeat attitude and taking defeats with a grain of salt will, without a doubt, assist in leading to eventual success.
- Critical Thinkers. Fashion marketing employees must be able to think on their feet and come up with unique solutions on the spot, if asked. Clients may not always like the first suggestion, so having another up your sleeve is always a good idea.
- Experts on current trends and happenings. Especially in the field of fashion, it is extremely important to be aware of what’s going on in the world, as well as which trends are currently “hot” and which are definitely “not”.
- Extraverted. Extraverts are highly sociable and friendly, getting along well with everyone who crosses their paths, including bosses, coworkers, and clients. In order to be a success in the field of Fashion Marketing, you’ll need to learn how to make an extraverted and friendly impression from the moment of introduction.
If you’re interested in discovering more about different methods of marketing online, check out this course on social media marketing for business and this blog post on the basics of advertising in fashion.
Top courses in Fashion
Fashion students also learn
Empower your team. Lead the industry.
Get a subscription to a library of online courses and digital learning tools for your organization with Udemy for Business.