Sometimes life gets the better of us. Think: a few too many happy hour cocktails, going a bit overboard on the Chinese takeout, or a weekend full of sweet treats. If your body is feeling a bit out of sync, sluggish, or you are noticing breakouts and blemishes in irregular places, a body detoxification might be in order.
Depending on your personality and your lifestyle, you may want to consider doing either a short term or long term detoxification to remove the toxic substances from your body. We are going to go over both methods and the practices involved in each so that you can choose the right detoxification method for you, whether it’s juicing or yoga.
Short Term: Fruit Detox
A quick way to get yourself back on track with some of nature’s most delicious morsels is to try a fruit detox. The great thing about fruit detoxes, in addition to its health benefits, is that you will not starve yourself. Fruit is plentiful in natural sugar, carbohydrates, and vitamins that will increase your energy levels, help manage your weight, and even reduce the likelihood of having a stroke.
- There are different ways you can go about doing a fruit detox. For instance, you can choose to eat an assortment of fruits, or, you can stick to a single fruit. To make detoxing enjoyable, choose a fruit, or fruits, that you enjoy eating.
- Do not go more than 7 days straight eating a fruit-only diet.
- Incorporate citrus fruits into your detox. Citrus fruits carry the highest detoxifying power. These include: oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, lemons, and limes.
- Also consider a grape detox. These little fruits contain resveratrol, a source that can protect you against cancer, diabetes, and prevent blood clots.
Short Term: Liquid Detox
If you are looking for ways to jump start weight loss or restrict calorie intake, you can consider a short-term liquid detox. A liquid detox requires you to consume nothing but liquids for around 2 to 3 days. These can constitute as: water, tea, fruit juice, vegetable juice, or protein shakes.
- Liquid diets help cleanse your body of certain toxins.
- Because you are only consuming liquids, make sure to incorporate some fruits and vegetable juice bases into your drinks so that you pick up enough vitamins and nutrients during your fast.
- After you have completed your liquid fast, if you want to continue to lose weight, you will need to change your eating and lifestyle habits as well to maintain your diet.
Short Term: Fruit and Vegetable Detox
A short term fruit and vegetable detox has you consuming nothing but fruits and vegetables for about 7 days. Limiting yourself to only fruits and vegetables will help your body pick up the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients in these foods.
- When doing this detox, be sure to eat a diverse combination of produce. This will ensure that you are getting the proper nutrients.
- Get your fiber from kidney beans, black beans, apples, soybeans, blueberries, and artichokes.
- Pick up potassium in carrots, bananas, Lima beans, white potatoes, cooked greens, and sweet potatoes.
- Find Vitamin C in kiwis, strawberries, kale, cauliflower, tomatoes, oranges, Brussels sprouts, mangoes, and bell peppers.
- Get your folate from spinach, melons, asparagus, oranges, and black eyed peas.
- You can still get in some fats from avocado, olives, and coconut.
Long Term Detox Habits
A long-term detox requires that you change your lifestyle and eating habits to ensure a healthy and happy lifestyle void of any harmful substances. These changes in habits might seem rash to you at first, but once you stick to them for an extended period of time, you will notice that your body will feel more energized, vibrant, and able.
Go organic: Eat only organically grown produce and meat. We have all heard that conventional produce is grown using chemical fertilizers and synthetic insecticides. Eating organic will have fewer harmful antibiotics, growth hormones, and medications that are fed to animals on conventional farms.
- Read your food labels to determine whether or not a food is organic.
- Organic foods should be easily recognizable by a green USDA Certified Organic Seal.
Get your H20: We cannot stress the importance of drinking enough water. Water is essential to your health.
- Water helps maintain your body’s fluid levels.
- Water can help your kidneys flush out blood urea nitrogen, one of your body’s main toxins.
- When you drink water, consider adding lemon, orange, or lime juice to your water. These citrus fruits contain citric acid, which helps your body cut down fat. Also, adding flavor to your water will make it a lot easier to drink 8 cups a day!
- Brush your teeth regularly or in-between meals to prevent acid erosion from the citrus fruits.
Eliminate Alcohol (or cut down): Alcohol has been linked with the onset of certain types of cancer, as well as breast cancer in women. Try sticking to one glass of wine or one can of beer per night.
Avoid sugar: Sugar is delicious, but consuming adding sugar on a regular basis cause results in increase blood sugar levels. This will put you at a greater risk for illnesses such as: heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers.
- Read the nutrition labels on your food. There might be added sugar in things you were not aware of, such as: bread, salad dressing, or sauces.
Mediate or relax: Not all detoxification methods have to do with food and food alone. Sometimes developing an inner sense of peace can be all of the detoxification you need. While you refocus and center your mind, also think about what foods you want to incorporate in your lifestyle to achieve a happy and healthy body.
A simple short term detox or a more long term plan of action can do wonders for a person’s body. A detox is meant to cleanse the blood, and it will help you address the needs of certain cells in your body that you could not have attended to otherwise. If you do decide to take the path of detoxification, consider recruiting some friends for support and enroll in this course for some more simple exercises to help you detoxify and begin anew.