Developing a healthy lifestyle requires mixing in a plethora of healthy practices and finding balance among them all. Our health is definitely one of those to make the top of that list of practices. Juicing fruits and vegetables can sound daunting but fear no more. Finding a detox juice recipe for the fruits and vegetables in your refrigerator or local market is easy and affordable.
A variety of vegetables and fruits do many different things. Leafy green vegetables are helpful for weight management because they are low in calories and contain essential nutrients like dietary fiber, folic acid, vitamin c, potassium and magnesium along with phytochemicals like lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene that also help protect cells from free radical damage. Studies have shown the numerous health benefits of a diet righ in leafy green vegetables. One study showed that even one daily serving of green leafy vegetables may help lower the risk of cardiovascular disease by 11 percent.
- Kale: A leafy green that is loaded with iron, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, and antioxidants. It’s also helps to detoxify the liver because it’s high in sulfur.
- Apples: These help prevent gallstones, support the liver, and help boost the immune system.
- Lemon: Loaded with Vitamin C, lemons support a healthy immune system and help the liver to detoxify.
- Cucumber: Being a great source of electrolytes, eating these will help the body become re-hydrated and provide you with a source of B Vitamins. Note: drinking alcohol reduces the supply of B vitamins to the body.
Udemy offers a wonderful course on green juicing! Our “Green Juicing Clinic: Detox, Cleanse and Feel Great” will get you on your way to a better you!
Green Detox Juice
This recipe makes approximately two 8 ounce servings. Trust me, this is the green drink you’ll want to chug, not only after a night out, but at any time when you want to feel hydrated, full of energy and need a total body lift!
- 5 stalks of Kale or Spinach
- 3 Apples
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Cucumber
Instructions: Wash all the ingredients and run them through the juicer. (If you’re using a slow-juicer, run a bit of water through the juicer last, in order to catch all of the last bits of flavor.) As with any juice, feel free to substitute any ingredients you don’t like for those that you do!
Other Green Juice Variations:
- Green Juice 1 – Ingredients: 6-8 leaves kale, 2 green apples, 1 cucumber, peeled, 2-3 stalks celery, 1/2 lemon (no peel), 2 inches fresh ginger, 1 cup water.
- Green Juice 2 – Ingredients: 1/2 pear, 1/2 green apple, 1 handful spinach, 1 handful parsley, 2 celery stalks, 1/2 cucumber, 1 small piece ginger, 1 slice of papaya
- Green Juice 3 – Ingredients: 2 stalks celery, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 apple, 1/2 lemon, 1 small piece ginger, 1/2 green chard leaf, 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped, 5 kale leaves, 1 handful spinach
- Green Juice 4 – Ingredients: 1 handful of spinach, 3 stalks of celery, 1 small handful of parsley, 1 small bunch of dandelion greens, 1 small bunch of watercress leaves, 3 leaves of green kale, 2 bartlett pears, seeded ¼ lemon, peeled ½ cucumber, peeled.
- Green Juice 5 – Ingredients: 2 celery stalks, chopped, 1 small cucumber, chopped, 2 kale leaves, 1 handful spinach, handful of fresh parsley or cilantro, 1 lemon peeled, 1 apple, seeded, cored and chopped
Directions: If using a juicer: Add all the above ingredients to a juicer and juice. If using a blender: Add all the above ingredients to a blender along with 1 cup chilled water. Add ice if desired. Blend until smooth.
Beet Apple and Blackberry Juice
Beet juice is a powerful cleanser of the blood, and highly nutritious. It’s full of folate, manganese potassium, iron and Vitamin C. To the beets, I add apples, blackberries and ginger, creating a deep red and delicious elixir.
3 small beets
8 oz. blackberries
1/2 inch fresh ginger
Tropical Paradise Juice
The perfect way to brighten your morning, this juice blend is easy on the digestive system and gently loosens any build up that may have occurred while the body was at rest.
1 medium ripe papaya, peeled, seeded, and sliced
1 small pineapple, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 (1-in.) piece peeled fresh ginger
1 medium kiwi, peeled
1.2 cup fresh young coconut water (stir in after juicing)
1 cup aloe vera juice
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup baby spinach
1 cup baby kale
1 cup baby chard
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons protein powder (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1. Mix aloe vera juice and oats together in a bowl; set aside until oats have absorbed the liquid, about 10 minutes.
2. Blend oat mixture, spinach, kale, chard, banana, cucumber, blueberries, protein powder, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper together in a blender until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Green Coconut Juice
1 young Thai coconut
1 handful of green kale
1 handful of spinach
Crack open coconut (using a cleaver and extreme care) and pour the coconut water into a blender. Remove coconut meat with a spoon and add to blender. Add kale, spinach, and banana. Blend on high for 30 seconds. Pour smoothie into the coconut and serve with a straw.
1 quarter fresh pineapple
1/2 handful cilantro
1/2 small jalapeno, seeded
1 1/2 Cup Blueberries
Pure Melon Boost
Cantaloupe is the most nutritious of all fruits and does well when juiced alone. Blend the rind in with the flesh of the fruit and enjoy this cancer fighting drink as an occasional simple but tasty treat.
A Detox Juice for Digestion
12 Spinach leaves
Juicing for detoxification purposes helps the body function the way it should without all the toxins we put into it from crappy food. Although juicing is not recommended as a way of life by most experts on the subject and with all changes in nutrition, one must consult with their doctor to find the best fit for them. Below are the top ten reasons from MindBodyGreen to detoxify the body:
1. Remove toxins from the body.
2. Prevent chronic disease.
3. Enhance immune system function.
4. Lose weight.
5. Slow premature aging.
6. Improve quality of life.
7. Increase energy.
8. Improve skin quality.
9. Mental and emotional clarity.
10. Restore balance to our body’s systems.