Chocolate Lava Crunch Cake Recipes
Warm chocolate cake, crunchy on the outside, moist underneath and molten in the middle, it just does not get much better than that, now does it? From Domino’s to Long Horns, chocolate lava crunch cake has been a hit in restaurant chains across the country. It seems like every chocolate lover has a version of this decadent treat. Although the idea of baking may look, and taste, complicated, read on to find a couple of easy effortlessly gourmet recipes ready to satisfy your every chocoholic whim!
How to make Chocolate Lava Crunch Cake
With a preparation time of 10 minutes and a cooking time of 10 minutes, this is a quick and easy recipe for pure chocolate bliss that serves four.
Here’s what you need to make Chocolate Lava Crunch Cake:
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 oz. semi sweet baking chocolate
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 whole eggs
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. strong coffee (brewed or instant)
- ½ cup butter
Optional – Confectioners’ sugar for dusting.
Baking instructions for Chocolate Lava Crunch Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place the semi-sweet baking chocolate into a microwave safe bowl, with the ½ cup of butter and cook them in the microwave oven until they melt. Stir a couple of times during the melting and make sure not to let it overheat. This step is better done with a double boiler if you have access to one in your kitchen.
3. Remove the mixture from microwave or double boiler and stir to mix well.
4. Using a whisk, carefully add in the powdered sugar, along with a tbsp of vanilla and a tbsp of coffee and stir together until the mixture is uniform.
5. Stir in a dash of ground cinnamon and add in the two whole eggs plus the egg yolk, one at a time, beating them into the mixture after every addition.
6. Fold in the flour gradually, while stirring the batter until it blends together to form a thick, smooth, uniform batter.
7. Lightly oil 4 ramekins or custard cups (a muffin pan will also work in a pinch) with cooking spray and spread it throughout the ramekins with the help of a kitchen towel.
8. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and pour the batter into them.
9. Bake the lava crunch cakes for about 12-15 minutes until the surface of the cake appears firm and set.
10. Invert the cakes onto serving plates to remove them from the ramekins. You can use a knife inside the edge of the ramekin to help ease out the cake. Poke the cakes slightly to break them and release the molten chocolate ooze out of it. Sprinkle with a light dusting of powered sugar.
11. Serve with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream
The chocolate lava crunch cake really needs to be served warm. You can make this recipe and put the ramekins in the refrigerator until just before desert since they cook so quickly.
Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Crunch Cake
Many people are going gluten free to improve their health. Just because you are avoiding gluten does not mean you must also avoid taste! Try this recipe to see just how good gluten free can taste for every lifestyle.
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter (plus more for greasing)
- 5 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. high-quality all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your all-purpose gluten-free flour already contains it)
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 425˚F.
- Thoroughly grease the insides of 4 4 oz. oven-safe ramekins, and set them in a casserole dish with 2 inch high sides.
- Melt the 5 oz of dark chocolate and 4 tbsp butter together in a double boiler (stir frequently) or a microwave-safe bowl (stop frequently to stir and be careful not to let the mixture burn)
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla together in a large bowl. The resulting mixture will be bright yellow in color with a thin consistency. Using a mixer if available or a whisk, vigorously whip until the mixture is pale yellow and has thickened.
- Slowly add the chocolate and butter mixture into the large bowl with the thickened egg mixture, whisking or mixing constantly until combined.
- Add the flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder and salt, whisk to combine. Continue to whisk until the mixture is thick but pourable and smooth.
- Pour the mixture carefully into the 4 prepared ramekins, filling each 3/4 of the way full.
- Place the casserole dish with the filled ramekins on the bottom rack of your preheated oven. Carefully fill the casserole dish with cool water until the water reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake at 425˚F until the tops of the cakes are set and just beginning to pull away from the sides of the ramekins. Between 12-15 minutes. Pay close attention and remove the casserole dish as soon as the cakes are done.
- Remove the dish from the oven carefully because the water bath will be boiling. Remove the ramekins with tongs and place them on a wire rack and allow them to cool slightly.
- Turn each ramekin over to remove the cakes and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream.
Again, these cakes can be kept in the refrigerator until just before desert is served. If you are going to do this be sure to cover each ramekin in plastic wrap until time to put them in the oven.
These cakes are great for cooking for a date night, fancy dinner parties or a simple family gathering. Make sure you get the credit though. Don’t let your guests think you bought these and are trying to pass them off as your own! The chocolate lava crunch cake is just the beginning, with just a little training and practice, you can start to bake all sorts of desserts and pastries for every occasion.
Empower your team. Lead the industry.
Get a subscription to a library of online courses and digital learning tools for your organization with Udemy for Business.