Glitter, bold colors, and over the top designs define cheer makeup. If you or your daughter is participating in a cheer event, check out these tutorials to help you create some eye catching designs that are sure to get everyone’s attention.
The Basics of Cheer Makeup
Cheer makeup focuses primarily on having very highly visible eyes and lips. Some blush may be used, but because the cheer leaders are seen from a distance, highly visible, brightly colored lips and eyes are the focus. Many teams encourage the girls to use glitter on either the lips or eyes, some also use things like rhinestones and facial jewelry, and some may make use of team colors.
It’s generally accepted that the lip color will either match one of the shades of color used on the eyes, or if that’s not possible, a bold shade that coordinates with the others. The eyes or the lips can be glittered, but rarely both at once, as this look can get a little overwhelming. If you’ve ever taken a course in eye and lash art, you’ll probably be familiar with how to create numerous eye catching looks on the lids. If not, however, it’s easy to learn how to apply makeup with a professional appearance with just a little bit of practice.
Creating Glitter Lips
If a specific eye design is being used, or the team colors are being done on the lids without glitter, then a glittery mouth is essential to bring some glamour to the finished look. Glitter lips are one of the easiest ways to spice up your cheer makeup, and they can be done in a single color, two colors, or with glitter shaped like stars, hearts, and other shapes.
- Bold-colored lipstick of your choice; sticky lipsticks work best – if a shade can be found that matches the eye shadow, this often works best
- Clear, sticky lip gloss if a dry lipstick is being used
- Loose glitter in a coordinating color or colors
- Apply a thick, even coat of lip color to the lips. Do not blot. If the lipstick is dry or dries out quickly, apply a top coat of clear, sticky lip gloss.
- Dip the tip of your index finger into the loose glitter. Try to completely cover the tip of your finger in the glitter.
- Press your finger firmly against the lips. The lipstick or gloss will catch and hold the glitter. Repeat until you cover the lips entirely.
- If desired, change colors between the top and bottom lips. Be sure to cover all areas of the lipstick or gloss in glitter. This will make the lips less sticky and prone to mixing the colors between the two areas.
Single Color Glitter Eyes
One way to make a big impact is to use one really bold color on both the eyes and the mouth, then add glitter to the eyes in the same shade to up to glamour factor. This is a very easy technique to learn.
- Single color of eye shadow
- Matching lipstick color
- Loose glitter in the same color as the shadow
- Liquid eye liner
- Eye shadow brush
- Cotton swabs
- Cover both eye lids from the lash line to slightly above the natural crease with your favorite eye shadow shade.
- Apply a coat of the same color lipstick to the lips.
- Put a small dot of black eye liner just beneath the ends of each brow on the outside corner of each eye.
- Draw a line from the dot to the corner of each eye to make a small cat eye tail.
- Line the upper lids from the middle of each lid out to the tip of the tail to widen it.
- Color in the interior of the tail.
- Apply a thin coat of Vaseline to the entirety of your eye lids and the cat eye tail with a cotton swab.
- Cover the tip of your index finger in glitter and pat it gently onto the closed eye lid, completely covering the Vaseline covered area. This will transfer the glitter to the eye lids and create a dramatic and eye catching effect.
- Wipe off any excess glitter from around the eye and clean up your lines with a cotton swab dipped in makeup remover.
- Finished with a coat of mascara on both eyes, or consider adding some long false eye lashes from the center out to the outer corner of each eye.
- Two colors of eye shadow
- Black liquid eye liner
- Small brush
- Medium brush
- Cotton swabs
- Clear glitter
- Mascara or false eye lashes
- Cover the eye lid from the lash line to the crease with the darker or bolder shade of shadow.
- Apply a small amount of the lighter shadow from just above the crease to the brow bone from the center out to the outer edge of the eye.
- Apply a small amount of the same lighter shadow on the inner corner of the lower lid, extending to about the middle of the eye.
- Apply a thick layer of liquid eye liner from the inside corner out to the outer corner. Start this line off thin on the inside of the eye and gradually thicken it as you go across the eye so that it is at its thickest at the outside corner of the eye.
- Cover the entire eye area, above and below, all the way to the brow bone with Vaseline.
- Dip your index finger into the glitter and pat it gently over the entire eye from the lower lid up to the brow bone.
- Finish with a coat of mascara or a set of false eye lashes.
Apply Eye Rhinestones
Applying a few rhinestones to the outer corners of your eyes and just beneath the brow is a great way to add a little extra glamour to your look, particularly if you are balancing with the glitter lips. Eye rhinestones come in a variety of different colors that can coordinate with any shade of eye shadow. Use them alone or with the glitter eye makeup detailed above.
- Facial glue
- Make sure the skin you are applying the rhinestones to is clean and dry.
- Dab a small amount of facial glue onto the skin around your eyes where you want a rhinestone to be placed.
- Hold a rhinestone in your tweezers by the outside edges and line it up with the glue.
- Gently press the back of the rhinestone against your skin until the glue holds. Repeat until you get the look you want.
Stand Out from the Crowd
Cheer makeup should be big, bold, and eye catching. Pay close attention to your eyes and lips to get the best possible results. Use hot colors, lots of glitter, and some well placed eye lashes and rhinestones to make the biggest statement. Once you’ve mastered these easy techniques, consider signing up for a course in makeup application to help you learn to master other techniques such as blending several shades for a gradated look. You may also want to learn to style hair to go along with it and complete the look. Cheer makeup is something that most former cheerleaders look back on with nostalgia. Learn how to create some bold and impressive looks and give yourself something amazing to look back on.