While dogs tend to be loyal and very domesticated, cats have always maintained an air of mystery. You’ll be hard pressed to train one to do anything other than drops its output in a litter box. Other than that, you are doomed to wait until your feline friend is darn good and ready to rub against you, purr satisfaction or show any signs that you actually exist, other than to feed it and be available at anytime for a massage.
Indeed, these fun, furry felines draw more questions than answers. Edgar Allen Poe once said, “I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.”
And another renowned writer, Ernest Hemmingway, also found inspiration in the cat personality: “A cat has absolute emotional honesty.”
When these carefree creatures are carousing the kitchen, not believing any shelf or counter is off limits, you have to wonder what it going on in that little yet sophisticated brain. Does “meow” mean it’s hungry or “what’s to do around here for excitement?” Indeed, cats are full of life, yet so aloof about it!
Before we get to some more thoughts about what cats are thinking and what we think of them, let’s take a look at what it takes to have a happy cat in your home. You can’t just bring one into your world and expect it to adapt. Actually, it’s probably going to be the other way around – you will have to adapt to your cat. All the same, it can’t hurt to take a look at how to choose a kitty and live a happy co-existence.
Remember this Italian proverb – “Happy is the home with at least one cat” – and you will be off to a great start!
Even though he/she won’t answer to it, it’s best to give your kitty a name and make sure it’s checked out by a vet and given the proper shots. Like humans, cats get sick on occasion, so it can’t hurt to learn how to handle any emergencies with your cat and build a little first aid kit.
Celebrities Love Their Feline Friends
Stars of the stage, screen and even sports love their feline friends, some so much they even want to be a cat! Here’s a quick look at some memorable kitty quotes from people in the limelight.
- “I really am a cat transformed into a woman,” said movie actress Brigitte Bardot, known for being, well, a sex kitten.
- “Of all God’s creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” Mark Twain
- “Cats have a scam going – you buy the food, they eat it and they go away. That’s the deal.” Eddie Izzard
- “I had been told that they training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days.” Bill Dana, comedic actor.
Great Anonymous Cat Quotes
- “It’s really the cat’s house – we just pay the mortgage.”
- “My husband said it was him or the cat – I miss my husband sometimes.”
- “If cats could talk, they wouldn’t.”
- “Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause the most inconvenience.”
Notable Cat Quotes
- “In ancient times, cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” Terry Pratchett
- “As every cat owner knows, no one owns a cat.” Ellen Perry Berkeley
- “Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” Robert A. Heinlein
- “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” Albert Einstein
- “I never met a cat I didn’t like.” Alf, the TV character.
- “I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.” Jules Verne, famous science fiction writer.
- “Cats have it all – admiration, an endless sleep and company only when they want it.” Rod McKuen
- “Time spent with cats is never wasted.” Sigmund Freud
- “Cats are smarter than dogs. You can’t get right cats to pull a sled through snow.” Jeff Valdez
- “When my cats are happy, I’m not happy. Not because I care about their mood but because I know they’re just sitting there thinking up ways to get even.” Percy Bysshe Shelley
- “Those who play with cats must expect to be scratched.” Miguel de Cervantes
- “The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their face whether they see a moth or an axe murderer.” Paula Poundstone
- “I can’t have cats around me because they steal my energy.” Roseanne Barr
- “People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next lifetime.”
- “Some people say that man is the most dangerous animal on the planet. Obviously, these people have never met an angry cat.” Lillian Johnson
The Picture Perfect Cat
If you want to get a good photo of your cat, it’s not going to be easy, especially if you piss it off the first time by using flash. Besides, how do you decide what to shoot? Chances are the only time it will be still is if it’s eating, and that’s not a good shot, or if it’s in your lap, and well, that might be difficult to pull off.
Maybe it will help if you understand the four principles of photography. After all, you might not have too many chances to get your cat in a good position for a great shot, so learn what you can so you can meet it count the first time.
Study after study show that having a pet such as a cat in your home, at least in your life, reduces stress, helps lower blood pressure and decreases the chance of depression. While cats can be aloof and mysterious, they can also be loving, warm and cuddly.
One thing is certain, your cat will be happy if you’re happy. It’s probably worthwhile for you to
Look into some exercises to help you relax and thoroughly enjoy those special moments with your cat.
Just remember, “You cannot look at a sleeping cat and feel tense.” Jane Pauley.