Have you decided to start streaming your gaming live? Many people stream or record their game play and upload it online for others to watch. The gaming community is large, and people are always looking to learn new tips, or watch funny game clips. There are so many options out there for screen recording software it’s hard to know what to choose. One of the most popular is called Camtasia. It has a lot of options that allow you to record a video of your computer screen and edit it. Many people use this program to create presentations, tutorials, and promotional demos for their company. It is a powerful tool to edit and create premium videos.
Because it has so many features it also comes with a hefty price tag. If you are looking for a Camtasia alternative there is other software you can try. Many give you must of the same features you would get with Camtasia. Depending on your needs, you may not even need recording software with a lot of extra options. The first step to finding a good Camtasia alternative is figuring out what you want to record.
What type of gamer are you? Do you prefer PC computer games or consoles? The first thing you need to do is decide what game you think you will be playing and recording the most. While you can record your games on PC you may want a Camtasia alternative because you mainly play on a console. When looking for software here are the criteria to consider.
- What is it able to record? (Does it record the whole screen or just a window?)
- How fast will it record? (What are the frames per second and will it slow your computer down?)
- What type of quality options does it offer?
- Does it record any audio or webcams in addition to the screen?
- What types of files is it able to save?
- Does it allow you to do any kind of editing?
Thinking about those options will allow you to choose the best recording software for your needs. If you don’t care about live streaming why purchase a product that offers it at a higher price than one that doesn’t have that option? You will also want to choose one that comes with editing capabilities if you plan to upload videos to a website like YouTube.
If you are a PC gamer, you have plenty of options when it comes to screen recording software. Not all of them are priced as high as Camtasia. If you are not using your recording for a business or you are just starting out try selecting a Camtasia alternative. You can purchase something that is at an affordable price point, or even give free, open source, software a try. Just make sure to remember the criteria above when you are selecting one. Here are a few options to get you started.
- Bandicam – This is a freeware program that can be downloaded and tested for a trail period. After the trial period is over you can purchase it on their website. It is able to record your whole screen or just a small section of it. It also included the FPS when recording. A great feature for any gamer.
- Fraps – Here is recording software that can record video up to 7680×4800 in size with custom frame rates. It is also a freeware download that allows you to try it, before you buy it.
- CamStudio – This is a free to use recording software. Just because it’s free doesn’t mean it is bad. It comes with a lot of options for recording. You can capture just a section of the screen, or the whole things. Also you can record audio from a program, microphone, or have none at all.
If you are not sure what Camtasia alternative is going to be best for you, do not be afraid to try out some demos. You can download a couple of software demos to find which one will work the best for you. Or even try downloading one of the free software options. If you don’t like the software just uninstall it and go to the next one.
If you are a console gamer you have some other Camtasia alternatives available to you. You can choose to go the route of screen recording software or use an on-board capture card if your computer has one. (This is usually not in a regular desktop.) Another option to record your gaming is to not use a computer at all.
This Camtasia alternative is called a capture device and it doesn’t even use a computer to record the videos. There are a few different companies and versions to choose from, so you can still select the one that will best fit your needs. These are priced a little higher than some of the commercial recording software listed above. These Capture devices can be used at home or on the go if you purchase a portable version. They are very easy to setup and start recording.
Knowing how the capture device affects your video is important. Just like selecting the correct compression. They have HDMI in and out, and can be used with PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. You want to be able to pay without experiencing lag while playing, or in the video. With the click of a button you can start recording. When you are done it just takes one more press of a button and you can upload your video to Youtube. Here are some of the Camtasia alternative devices for console gamers.
- Hauppauge HD PVR2 – This offers a no lag, High definition pass through for all gaming systems. It also allows you to easily record and upload your videos online. You can stream your cames and capture the in-game chat as well. It can be used worldwide with a plug adapter and has its own editing software.
- AVerMedia Game Recorder – This device captures HD quality content with no lag. It works with all consoles including the current Xbox One generation. It has a “pause recording” feature that allows you to only capture the parts of your game that you want recorded. You can use your phone as a remote and check your online file storage.
- Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket, Portable Game Recorder – This recording device is so small you can carry it in your pocket. This allows you to record matches even when playing at a friend’s house. It is powered by USB and records in HD quality.
Deciding what you will be recording is the biggest step is setting up a live stream or YouTube account. It is important to know who your target audience is so you can decide what features you need. Some will be better for streaming and others for high quality YouTube videos. If you want people to watch your videos they have to be clear and well edited. Learn about the platform you plan to use, like YouTube, to become successful and gain a following. Remember you don’t have to break the bank to create great videos that hold an audience. One of the Camtasia alternatives above should work for your video recording needs. If you have decided you still want all the features Camtasia has to offer, it is available for PC or Mac. The more knowledge you have about using the recording and editing features the better your videos will be.