Summer is here, and you are going to want to tighten up most parts of your body, including your backside. Interested in achieving some buns of steel for the summer? You are in luck, because there are plenty of butt exercises that can give you the sculpted backside of your dreams.
However, if you are tired of doing squats, then there is no need to worry. We are going to provide you with some different and more varied exercises perfect for your backside that are going to effectively tone every inch of your rear. Soon enough you will be running to rock your Speedos or skinny jeans this season.
Exercise 1: Hip Lifts
Hip lifts are a great way to work out your butt and relieve any tension or stress in your back. Make sure you have a nice mat that is going to support your tailbone.
- Lie down on your back and keep your arms at your side. Bent your knees while keeping both your feet planted on the floor.
- Now lift your hips up towards the ceiling. Hold this position for 1 count and then lower yourself down.
- Once again, lift your hips up towards the ceiling and hold this position for 60 seconds. While your buttock is in the air, squeeze your glutes and hamstrings to flex your muscles.
Exercise 2: Toe Taps
- Lie down on your mat with your arms at your sides.
- Bend both of your knees up into a 90 degree angle with your thighs perpendicular to the floor. Lift your feet up off the ground.
- With your feet lifted, tap your left toes towards the floor, and then tap your right toes to the floor.
- Alternate the tapping between both of your feet for one minute.
Exercise 3: Single-Leg Front Raisers
This exercise is great for tightening your butt and giving you some extra practice with coordination while you are at it.
- With your feet hip-length apart, take a 3 to 5 pound dumbbell in each of your hands.
- Bend your right leg and slowly raise it up three inches off of the floor.
- As you are doing this, extend both of your arms in front of you at about chest height. Have your palms facing downwards.
- With your arms still straight out, raise your left arm up above your head. Hold this position for 3 counts, and then return your left arm down to around where your chest is.
- Alternate between raising your left and right arm up. Do this about eight times for each arm. Once you are finished, switch your lefts and do eight more sets on your other leg.
Exercise 4: Kick-Back Squats
Instead of the regular basic squats, try these kick-back squats that are going to help tone your quads and your butt.
- With your legs shoulder-width apart, lower your body down into a squat and bring your fists up close to your chin.
- Lift up your left leg behind you keeping it straight, and extend both of your arms forward. Do not twist your hips when your leg is extended.
- Bring your leg back in and return to a squatting position. When you squat, make sure that your weight is focused towards the back of your heels.
- Alternate between sides for about one minute.
Exercise 5: Plies
Plies can actually give you more toning and strengthening than you would expect, even though it is a simple exercise.
- Stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart with your toes pointing straight outwards.
- Lift your arms up so that they are pointed out straight in front of you. Lower your body into a squatting position.
- Raise your body back up and repeat. As you go back into a squat, go as low as you can without letting your knees go past your toes. Be sure to tuck your tailbone in and tighten your glutes.
- Perform this exercise for about one minute.
- If you want to make your Plies more challenging, pause at the bottom of your squat position for 20 seconds.
Exercise 6: Explosive Lunges
These are not just regular lunges – they are explosive ones that are going to test your balance, coordination, and patience.
- Place your hands on your hips and stand with your feet together.
- Lunge forward using your right leg first.
- Now jump up and switch your legs in midair so that you land with your left leg positioned in a forward lunge.
- Continue these lunges for about one minute while alternating sides.
- Remember to keep your fists up near your chin and push off with both feet when you go into the lunge.
Exercise 7: Sun Salutation
This exercise is part of a yoga sequence that is going to benefit your butt and tone and strengthen your entire body.
- Perform each of the 12 postures in a single and graceful flow.
- Coordinate each movement with your breath. For instance, inhale as your extend and stretch, and exhale as your body folds or contracts.
- The 12 steps are: The Mountain, Hands Up, Hands to Knees, Lunge, Plank, Stick, Upward Dog, Downward Dog, Lunge, Head to Knee, Hands Up, and Mountain.
Exercise 8: Clam Dig while Rotating
This is a great move for toning your bottom, obliques, and shoulders. It also feels incredible and opening for your core area.
- Get a mat and lie down on your ride side while cradling your head in your right palm.
- Bend your knees at a 45 degree angle in front of you.
- Take a 3, 5, or 8 pound dumbbell, depending on your strength, in your left hand. Keep your left elbow lowered down on your left side.
- Now lift both your left leg and your left arm up at the same time towards the ceiling at a 90 degree angle. Keep your hips stacked in place by pressing your elbow down into your side.
- Hold this position for about 2 seconds before returning to your original stance.
- Repeat this move for about 1 minute and then switch sides.
Get Your Bum Ready
Take the above butt exercises to help start toning and strengthening your rear for the summer season. To get started today, enroll in this course for a total hot body fitness workout that is going to get you looking radiant with the bum of your dreams.