Biotechnology encompasses the science of using biological systems to develop technologies and manufacture valuable products that are beneficial for us. It is a combination of biology and chemistry to develop meaningful products that seek to improve the quality of human life. The science focuses attention towards new and profound technological advancements in the field of genetic engineering, cell and tissue culture, genomics etc. and strives to bring out the best in living organisms so as to benefit the human kind.
A career in biotechnology helps students and professionals to work and contribute to the pharmaceutical, medical, industry products, manufacturing, agriculture and other important fields. Biotechnology is the science of using biological systems for technological applications, whether in the field of agriculture, medicine, industry or the military and has a great potential to enhance the health and well-being of people. Students pursuing higher education in biotechnology are normally committed to work in the field of molecular biology, bioinformatics, biochemistry etc. in business and scientific research in various countries across the world. You may want to check out this course to get a better understanding of various engineering careers.
The biotechnology industry employs different techniques in the form of modern biology to reduce the impact of manufacturing and its related side effects on the environment. There is no doubt that biotechnology also has the capability to improve food safety by helping the scientists and researchers identify the allergic elements in various food types. Today, most of the small businesses as well as large companies use biotechnology across industry verticals. Find out more on the importance of biotechnology in our modern life, in our course on biotechnology for young professionals. Below is a list on how biotechnology is being widely used in different industries to bring about a huge change in the quality of life:
- Environmental biotechnology is used in a variety of applications such as treating hazardous waste, pollution control, purifying contaminated water and so on.
- Industrial biotechnology is another field that enhances the efficiency of the manufacturing process in a variety of industries such as textile, specialty chemicals, paper, pulp etc.
- Agricultural biotechnology is used to enhance the nutrition value of plants to make them consumer-friendly. Researchers are in search of new and innovative methods to produce fruits and vegetable in an organic manner that is not only beneficial for the nature but also for us human beings too.
As mentioned earlier, biotechnology covers a broad array of subjects such as agriculture, animal husbandry, cell biology, chemistry, crop management, engineering, ecology, health, immunology, soil science, soil conservation, virology and many more. Various medicines and vaccines are also developed using different techniques and there is a great scope of biotechnology in well developed countries like the USA, Europe, Australia, and other countries.
A biotechnologist can work in the government sector as well as private organizations, which are involved in research or other significant commercial processes. There is an immense scope to develop professionally in this field and earn great recognition, either as a biotechnologist or a bioengineer. The key to success is to keep yourself up to date with the latest technologies in the field and gain as much experience as you can on the field. Learn how you can accelerate your career with this course. One can surely expect to rise up the ladder and even become a senior scientist in one of the most reputed firms in the world.
Even More Various Biotechnology Careers
Though industries working in the field of biotechnology make different products that range from vaccines and seeds to specialized equipment, many of the job responsibilities come with similar challenges across verticals. The jobs in the field of biotechnology can be categorized into five areas that include quality and regulatory affairs, sales and technical support, administration and management, research and development, manufacturing and services. The list of areas mentioned above though small, has many more inter-related job roles in the field of biotechnology.
There is a great demand of biotechnology courses these days and students from across the globe prefer to opt for these courses due to their numerous benefits. After successful completion of a course in biotechnology, individuals can look forward to lots of opportunities. Some of the popular biotechnology careers include DNA analyst, laboratory assistant, field technician, animal caretaker, microbiologist, clinical research associate and many more. Learn more about how to grow your biotechnology career in our course on career planning.
- Laboratory Assistant – Scientific laboratories perform different kinds of research. As a laboratory assistant, your main duties would include measuring, collecting and analysing the investigated data. Employees can be more or less specialized based on the requirement of the laboratory. If you are aspiring to work as a senior laboratory assistant, then you should build up on your experience and enrich your existing knowledge.
- Bioinformatics Specialist – Bioinformatics is the combination of biology with computers. Data that is derived from various studies is gathered and analysed in computers; particular software is used to analyse and investigate the data. Data mining is an important technique that is used to collect and analyse the data that is used in different stages of experiment and research. The primary role of Bioinformatics specialist is to collect and analyse the data using different techniques and tools.
- Green-house Field Technician – Working as a field technician is another career option for people who have completed an advanced course in biotechnology. As a field technician, your primary role would be to plant seeds, pollinate plants, and apply fertilizers and pesticides in the correct ratios. In short, you are supposed to take care of the plants by giving special attention to the problems that may arise during their growth.
- Clinical Research Associate (CRA) – The role of a clinical research associate is to monitor clinical tests of new drugs. After the drug is tested on animals, it enters clinical trials; as a clinical research associate, your role would be to evaluate any negative effects of that drug on humans. If you aspire to be a clinical research associate, then visit our course on basics of medical terminology to equip yourself with some important pre-requisites.
Role of a Biotechnology Engineer
Biotechnology is one of the best disciplines that involves the study and use of living organisms to develop human and environment friendly technological applications. It involves a detailed study in the field of engineering, medicine and technology, wherein the characteristics and behaviour pattern of living organisms are carefully studied to invent new technologies. If you want to work as a biotechnology engineer, you need to undertake an engineering course in the field of biotechnology, something that premier institutions across the country are offering to students to meet the growing demands of this industry.
Genetics includes the study of plants and animals, and is one of the widely preferred fields of biotechnology. The study is based on reformation of DNA with appropriate organism that is known as microbes, which are widely used in the manufacturing of a variety of drugs and vaccines. In short, the healthcare industry too needs thousands of biotechnology engineers who do have a detailed knowledge on this field.
So, with biotechnology increasingly being recognized as a revolutionary concept that will contribute in a major way to human life on earth, don’t you also want to be a part of this exciting field? From the growth of plants to inventing life-saving drugs and technologies, biotechnology careers are rapidly emerging as a number one choice for thousands of students across the world. So why wait any longer? Shape up a bright and enriching career in biotechnology to grab numerous thrilling opportunities that are waiting ahead for you!