We have all stopped at a full length mirror to check out our own behinds at one time or another. If your derriere is in need of some toning and perking up, then let us point you in the direction of some of the best butt exercises that are going to strength, firm, and perk up your behind.
The best butt exercises that you can do for your bottom are going to combine fat burning exercises with strength training. A lot of the following exercises will work out your thighs, hips, and butt altogether to achieve an ideal overall behind shape for your body. Get ready to enjoy checking your backside out in the mirror with the following exercises.
Easy and Effective Butt Exercises
To get your butt looking great and in shape, let’s get you started off with 5 of the basic and best butt exercises that anyone can do everyday.
Exercise 1: Squats
Squats are one of the best and easiest ways to shape your butt.
- Start off with wearing good shoes. Proper cross-training shoes will help you keep your feet in place as you do your squats. Be sure that you always do squats on a flat surface instead of a yoga or gym matt, because neither of those provides good traction.
- To get into a basic squat position, stand with your feet shoulder length apart. Both of your feet should be facing directly forward and not turned towards the side.
- Now clasp your hands together in a prayer position with your palms touching. Your hands should be parallel to your chest. However, make sure that your arms are not resting against any parts of your body.
- With your stomach muscles, flex inwards and squat down until your thighs are parallel to the ground. At this point, you thighs and bottom should be in a 90 degree angle. As you squat, make sure that you are squatting downwards opposed to forward. To make this easier for you to notice, try doing your first squats in front of a mirror so that you can check your overall boy position.
- When you get down to your squat position, pause.
- Rise up from your squat. As you do so, you will notice that your gluteal muscles and upper thighs are going to push you back into a standing position.
Perform these squats about 20 times in order to notice optimal toning benefits.
- Remember that squats are meant as strength training and cardio, and therefore they should not be necessary easy.
- If you cannot maintain proper form throughout the 20 squats, then reduce the number until you can sustain your form.
- Once the squats by themselves get easy enough for you to hand, you can intensify regular squats by adding hand weights into the equation. Consider using 2 to 5lb hand weights and hold them at your side while you are squatting to increase the difficulty.
Exercise 2: Piles
Piles are a great inner thigh squat exercise.
- Get into a standing position and place your legs hip length apart.
- Position your legs at an angle by turning your legs away from your hip joints. Make sure your knees are lined up with your second toes. You want to be in a position where your knees are over your second to keep the pressure aligned properly.
- Take your arms and raise them up like a ballet dancer would. In this position, squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Squat down and pause as you get to the bottom.
- After your pause, slowly lift yourself back up into a straight position using your butt, hip, and thigh muscles to bring yourself up.
Perform this exercise around 10 to 20 times. This move will help you tighten your inner thighs and your buttocks muscles. The point of turning your legs out away from your hips is going to concentrate the pressure on different parts of your glutes.
Exercise 3: Lunges
Lunges will help you achieve a nice looking back side and toned and defined legs.
- Go to an area where you have plenty of space in both the front and the back of you and stand with your feet hip length apart once again.
- Now extend your right leg back a few feet and bend your right knee far enough so that it almost touches the ground. As you do this, your body should lower down until your left knee is at a 45 degree angle with your shin. Adjust your position until you feel comfortable and tight in this position.
- As you reach the bottom of your lunge, pause to feel the stretch in your muscles.
- Now bring yourself back up to your original position by pushing your weight off using your right leg.
Repeat this exercise at least 10 times with each of your legs.
- Once you become comfortable with a regular lunge, you can spice things up a bit by trying an explosive lunge. For this type of lunge, once you reach the lowest point in your lunge, jump and switch your legs as you are in the air. Make sure that you move quickly enough so that you can dip into a lunge position on the opposite side. Do this exercises 10 times as well.
Exercise 4: Leg Lifts
Leg lifts will work your abs, legs, and glutes into shape.
- Get into position with your feet hip width apart.
- Lift your right leg straight and point it backwards. As you do this, bend your left knee so that you are in a stable position and can support the rest of your body.
- Put your hands on your hips and lift your leg back and slowly bring it back down to the ground so that it almost touches. Do this repeatedly by lifting your leg up and down while pausing at the top.
Do about 10 to 20 repetitions of this exercise with your right leg, and then switch on over to your left.
Exercise 5: Clam Digs
- Get an exercise mat and lay down on it. Turn over to your left side first and bend your knees slightly up in front of you.
- With your knees bent, rest your head on your left arm.
- Flex your stomach in while keeping your hips and back in the same position throughout the exercise.
- Make sure that your feet are touching, and lift your right knee up as far as possible and keep your hips stacked parallel to each other.
- Pause when you knee is at the top. After the pause, slowly lower your leg down.
This exercise is named “clam digs” because the movement will resemble the opening and closing of a clam shell. Repeat this movement 10 to 20 times for each leg.
Butt Exercises Fitness Tips
- Contract your stomach muscles: When you do any butt exercises to strengthen your backside, it can be effective to learn how to contract the muscles in your stomach. You can do this by tightening and lifting the muscles in your stomach upwards. This can help to prevent any lower back injury and also burn fat that is stored in your torso area.
- Keep a natural position: When it comes to positioning your back, try to keep it in a natural position while you are doing your butt exercises. You can do this better by doing your exercises in front of a large mirror so that you ensure that you do not over-arch or round out your back during the exercises. Awkward back position can cause you to injury or hurt your spine.
- Notice your knees: While you are doing your squats or lunges, make sure that you pat attention to the position of your knees. Your knees should never go over your toes. If you extend your knees too far out, you could injury your knees. Try not to support your body with knees joints, and focus on using your butt or thigh muscles of body support.
- Do daily cardio: Doing cardiovascular activity on a daily basis can help you lose weight in your hips, thighs, and butt area. This can help you tone, firm, and strengthen your butt as well. You can incorporate daily cardio into your routine by doing 30 minutes of moderate cardiovascular activity each day five times a week, especially if you are looking to lose weight.
- If you want less jiggle in your behind, you might also want to make sure that you are following a balanced and healthy diet. Do not deny yourself balanced and regular meals, as this will help you build muscle and cut fat.
- Personal trainer: If you want to make sure that you are kept accountable with your exercise routines, you can consider joining a local gym or hiring a personal trainer for additional help. By using gym equipment, you can work to target your quads, hamstrings, and gluteal muscles that can also work to quickly and effectively tone your butt.
Put Your Back Into It
With these butt exercises, you will be well on your way to achieving the backside of your dreams. Remember to do these exercises on a daily basis for optimal benefits and results. For more ways to get a perfectly toned butt, enroll in this online course that shows you how wall yoga can tone and tighten your backside.